• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacement bateries?

ryanrober

I am pretty sure I have 2 dead batteries. Any suggestions on replacements? I would prefer to not rewire the whole battery box. I really do not have a need for sealed batteries either. Little help? I have a 97 M1078, 1200 miles, picked it up from Govplanet for $7k, was not running. All fluids dry. Fixed broken petcock in radiator, filled all fluids (abouy $250) and jumped it. My wife LOVES driving it!

jeepsguy

Buy a battery charger with a reconditioner circuit. Hook it up for 24 hours and it may bring the batt. back to life. It works by breaking up the sulphates in the bottom of the cells. Walmart carries a charger by Stanley with this feature.

Lmtv772

Banned
Do some battery maintenance first.
Check the levels of the battery (if it's a wet cell), fill with distilled water. look for heavy sulfation on the plates, it usually is a sign of a battery that will not come back. Charge with a 24v charger, or each battery individually with 12v.
The more expensive gel cell batteries will be more rewarding if they had been drained completely in the attempt to bring them back to life.
in general what kills batteries is when they are not charged enough. most people drive too short of distances , causing the batteries to not be charged up as they should.
That's why I charge up my batteries once a week , just in case.

scottmandu

If the batts are older than 3-4 years they are likely dead. I've not been able to recondition any batteries older than that. The 24F work well, will fit in the box with a couple cable mods. You have to make a hold down though.

Overdrive

If the batts are older than 3-4 years they are likely dead. I've not been able to recondition any batteries older than that. The 24F work well, will fit in the box with a couple cable mods. You have to make a hold down though.
Do you have a write-up for using 24F batteries? Would like to see the cable mods and modified hold down.
24F AGM batteries are less than half the price of 6TL AGM.

scottmandu

Do you have a write-up for using 24F batteries? Would like to see the cable mods and modified hold down.
24F AGM batteries are less than half the price of 6TL AGM.
I'll write something up. Walmart has the 24F's for under $50 each so you can get by with fresh batteries for $200. 1/10th the cost of the AGM batts and 1/4 the cost of the lead acid 6tl's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks