• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement Batteries: Exide, not Optima.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like their quality control hit the skids when they were bought out a few years ago. People who bought before that time rave about how great they are. People who bought after.... not so much.
After being bought out, their production shifted to Mexico & have had serious quality control concerns ever since...no reputable battery rep I know will recommend Optimas any more, as they have as many customer-returned/warrantied Optimas in their shops as brand-new ones. You're far better off with the Exides.

rlltide12

I also run two 1000cca Exides. I just built a custom tray to hold two of them instead

attachment.jpg

And I like to rotate my batteries every month or so. Helps to keep the wear on them evened out.

cucvrus

Wow that is a lot of weight on that inner fender apron. I would not want to go off road with that much weight hanging on that apron. It appears that the fender to battery holder/support brace is missing. Did you build any under structure on that apron? I have to look through some pictures I have a CUCV plow truck that the batteries feel down thru the rusty apron and right out on the road. It happened at the railroad tracks in town. What a mess. The truck kept running to get it back to the shop. The batteries not so good for them.

rlltide12

I replaced the inner fender because the original one was coming apart. And these two group 31s sitting together weight about the same as the original single 6MFT did. When i built the base i designed it with large flat feet to spread out the weight more evenly than the original CUCV brackets. So far it has faired well even after south alabama back roads.

cucvrus

Hey OK you have fun with that. I will just keep all mine drivable. No changes needed. Cuts into my Grandchildren, Beer, & Grandchildren , time and money.

rlltide12

Just a gentle stock 6.5 turbo setup, nothing crazy, i have an nv4500 which is wonderful, a little turbo never hurt anyone haha plus being a bachelor living alone im always tinkering

Also, sorry for hijacking the thread!

mikey

I get my interstate blems (1100CCA) with a 1yr warranty for $45. At that price and with 7 trucks, I'll buy the blems all day long and won't even complain if I get the random dud that only lasts a year.

Mikey

Skinny

being a bachelor living alone im always tinkering
I always thought women cost a lot of money but it turns out 4340 chromoly, diesel fuel, and plate steel adds up quickly! Women are certainly cheaper than trucks, airplanes, boats, and dirtbikes. One exception though, I never had one leave me! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks