• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement Batteries for M923A2

KureBeast

One of my two batteries is dead and worn out. It will not hold a charge. Looking for lower cost replacements from a box store (autozone, NAPA, Advanced Auto, etc) Has anyone had any luck/success with consumer grade batteries? I know I need at least 800 cranking amps and they need to be HD deep cycles. Can anyone share a part number or what they have used instead of paying so much for the OEM replacements?

Thanks,
The Kure Beast

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple group 31 batteries will work. Tractor Supply tractor batteries (4dlt) will also do the job.

74M35A2

A2 (8.3) starts fast, and doesn't need more than two group 31's, I went that route and live in MI (winters), no problem even on a cold January. Freed up a lot of room under the seat for added treasures. Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, one of the leading battery suppliers to the auto industry, and they far succeed Exide. You absolutely do not need deep cycle batteries just for starting. You can re-battery your truck for $200 or less, even from any semi-truck dealer. The higher CCA you go, the shorter the life the battery will have because the plates are thinner to pack more of them in the given space. Your starter pulls 400-500amps when cranking.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Two group 31s from Oreilly are about $100 each. or Two Interstate MTP65s are $75 or so from Costco.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure the batteries have convention lead post, the battery in the advertizement has thearded studs. Major head ache to attach your existing batt. cables.

Brauliosotomayor

I replaced the (4) 6TN for (2) Interstate. Volt gauge never green. Got a full day in before dropping down to red and can’t get a start. Should I be worried about the alternator?

74M35A2

Yep. You can confirm this with a digital voltmeter, charging occurs at any voltage over 25.6v, with 28v range being most common.

The stock military alternator has about 4 different common failure modes, of which modern civilian alternators have cured all of. In addition, the modern civilian ones can be had for a very reasonable cost, and will not over-volt on an "improper" dash switch engine shut down, which can damage other electrical components on board such as the PCB, CTIS, and ABS modules.

If you are intent on keeping the truck all original, your original alternator can be repaired or rebuilt. If that is not so important, and you wish to up the reliability with more modern technology, I'd suggest to do the conversion. You can make it not stand out so bad if you paint it to match the engine colors rather than leaving it cast aluminum color if you desire.

If you keep your batteries fresh (< 5 years old), the alternator will quickly replenish them after every start, therefore leaving most of the alternator's capability available for accessory loads. Increasing your alternator's size (output) is also an option, but not required. I strongly recommend it if multiple continuous loads will be present (high wattage power 120V AC inverter, A/C with electric condenser fans, or a lot of lighting). Short term loads like an electric winch or high powered radio transmission, it is OK to pull power from the batteries, as they have plenty to offer and sit bored with nothing to do after the engine has started and is running.

The Cummins civilian alternator bracket is available as a direct bolt onto your 8.3L engine to make this an easy event. Entire job can be done/sourced yourself for about $200 in parts, including a new 70 amp alternator with 1 year warranty. About $350 if you want to step up to 100 amp alternator with bracket (contact Simp), but the 100 amp unit may have less output at idle as compared to a conventional brush type unit (the 100 amp is typically brush-less, longer life but less idle output).

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the (4) 6TN for (2) Interstate. Volt gauge never green. Got a full day in before dropping down to red and can’t get a start. Should I be worried about the alternator?
With the engine running, verify that you have voltage on wire #566 at the alternator. If you do, then suspect the alternator. If you don't, then suspect the PCB.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks