• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement float switch for a MEP-016D

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is wrong with the switch that it needs replaced? It's not often you see one actually go bad.

strycnine

It sems to want to run out of fuel and not refill. I can poke on the floats and make it come on, but it seems like it lets the fuel get to low. It drops all the way down to the bottom of the filter. What level should it fill to?

I already checked it up to the float switch. Should it have 50 volts...??..:jumpin: Those pumps must be built tuff to run 50 volts:grd:

ETN550

It sems to want to run out of fuel and not refill. I can poke on the floats and make it come on, but it seems like it lets the fuel get to low. It drops all the way down to the bottom of the filter. What level should it fill to?

I already checked it up to the float switch. Should it have 50 volts...??..:jumpin: Those pumps must be built tuff to run 50 volts:grd:
These are quirky things. 3 of 3 that I serviced recently would only maintain the fuel at a low 1-1/4 inch level. If they got too low they would shut off. Shutting off when too low makes sense as the pump is drawing air if it is running and not filling the tank so a shut off might keep the pump from running until damaged.

Before you abandon the float switch altogether try this as it worked for me. Empty the tank. Pull the red power lead from the rectifier output on the other side and connect the red lead to 24vdc positive and ground the frame at the ground lug to 24vdc negative. slowly fill the tank and I bet at some point around 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 inches of fuel level it will come on and add some additional fuel before it shuts off again.

3 of 3 I recently worked on did the same thing. I then reconnected the red wire and ran each of the three units for 45 minutes to 1 hour under a 4kw load and the fuel level in the tank was maintained the whole time.

The bosch float incorporates a relay. If you cannot locate the float by the bosch number on the float then try Omega for a substitute float. I saw some in the $35 dollar range that could be used if a relay was added. I suspect the Bosch float is mega dollars.

54 vdc is spec for the Yanmar rectified output. It does seem to drop a bit when the pump places a load on it but it is hard to measure exactly what it is doing when the pump is pulsing. The best I can guess is that it is no less than 30 - 35 vdc.

So far I have been making sure the units I get are serviced to run to spec but I would like to fix a few of these design issues and convert to 12vdc and mount a battery for permanant electric starting.

I really like these little units. They are quite capable.

Search e-bay for the 178 and 186f motors. There are a lot of engine parts and accessories listed.

Doug

derf

^Agree with above. The 016D is my favorite of the <5kW MEPs, at least until I find a good deal on a 531. Even then, the 531 has a lot less output.

strycnine

These are quirky things. 3 of 3 that I serviced recently would only maintain the fuel at a low 1-1/4 inch level. If they got too low they would shut off. Shutting off when too low makes sense as the pump is drawing air if it is running and not filling the tank so a shut off might keep the pump from running until damaged.

Before you abandon the float switch altogether try this as it worked for me. Empty the tank. Pull the red power lead from the rectifier output on the other side and connect the red lead to 24vdc positive and ground the frame at the ground lug to 24vdc negative. slowly fill the tank and I bet at some point around 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 inches of fuel level it will come on and add some additional fuel before it shuts off again.

3 of 3 I recently worked on did the same thing. I then reconnected the red wire and ran each of the three units for 45 minutes to 1 hour under a 4kw load and the fuel level in the tank was maintained the whole time.

The bosch float incorporates a relay. If you cannot locate the float by the bosch number on the float then try Omega for a substitute float. I saw some in the $35 dollar range that could be used if a relay was added. I suspect the Bosch float is mega dollars.

54 vdc is spec for the Yanmar rectified output. It does seem to drop a bit when the pump places a load on it but it is hard to measure exactly what it is doing when the pump is pulsing. The best I can guess is that it is no less than 30 - 35 vdc.

So far I have been making sure the units I get are serviced to run to spec but I would like to fix a few of these design issues and convert to 12vdc and mount a battery for permanant electric starting.

I really like these little units. They are quite capable.

Search e-bay for the 178 and 186f motors. There are a lot of engine parts and accessories listed.

Doug
Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try next time I mess with them.

How do you load test yours?

Jack

derf

Thanks for the reply! I'll give that a try next time I mess with them.

How do you load test yours?

Jack

HVAC heating elements, water heater elements, and abandoned oven/stoves can be used as loads. Just be careful because they make mucho heat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks