• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement gauges in the control panel

s011883

I've been trying to find replacement gauges (Frequency, percentage of load, and voltage) for my MEP003a. I found that good used ones are pricey. I found a vendor that will manufacture replacement gauges and they are made here in the USA. They will look like the original gauges.

Just wanted to ask what you guys thought before I jump into this because there is a minimum order of 50. It looks like they will run around $90 each, but I'm still trying to decide what to do and looking for any input that could be offered. I'm just asking if anyone has a need for these before I proceed in making my decision.

Thanks

Last edited:

storeman

Do you mean 50 of each gauge? Some gauges need other items,ie, frequency transducer for freq gauge. Based on 2 years of parts experience, you will be including the buy in your will or trust before you recover cost. Sorry to rain on you.
Jerry 2cents

Jimc

yeah at $90 your cost for the gauges thats a tough one to swallow to be able to make your money back. the simpson hz meter i think is about $170 and looks original with the transducer all built in. thats alot less than $4500 for 50 gauges x 3 no less. thats alot of gauges to sell to recover the initial investment. cut out the middle man and go right to the chinese manufacturer that the gauge co will be using to make them anyway.

Last edited:

johnray13

I have to write this out so I can see it. It's just the way my mind works....

That makes your initial investment of $13500. Plus tax. So you will keep three gauges for yourself at your cost of $270. For perspective, three new Simpson gauges at retail would run you about $510. If you sold all 147 gauges for $100 (seems like you would be able to sell quite a few 'cause that would be a fantastic price, you would gross $14700. Your ROI is $1200 (minus your shipping cost,tax and your three gauges)

I'll buck the trend here and say you could make this work. Especially with people paying close to 2k for dilapidated GL units. Having OEM style functioning gauges for $300 more seems like a no brainer.

Of course you could mark up the gauges higher and try for a larger profit margin. But it seems like recovering that initial $13500 investment would be gained a lot quicker if you were discounting these. Besides, you have hardly any overhead. If you make a grand over the course of a year AND you get your gauges for basically nothing, I think it just might be worthwhile.

I think you should go for it.

Good luck,
John

Triple Jim

No tax if they're being purchased for resale, if you do it properly, but I still have a hard time with the numbers. I don't have a hard time with the idea behind it though... helping others get a good product that's hard to find.

glassk

View attachment 418292I have watt and watt transducer AC amp and freq gauges, if you need them for your mep,

I got them from GL back in 2006,
sorry , these are for Mep-005A,006A,009A, part no, 69-574,69-589, 69-595,69-597

Last edited:

s011883

I should clarify that I'm making a profit selling them for $90 shipped to your door. Now I will not be able to quit my day job, but I know there are people like me that want to keep there MEP original. I just worried that it will take a long time to sell this many, but maybe not.

Jimc

90 shipped is not a bad deal. If i had bad gauges i would buy these from you no problem. I do think it would take you some time to sell all of them though. If you dont mind sittin on them a bit then go or it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks