• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement Headlights

m1a convert

I want to replace my HMMWV headlights with high performance units. I DO NOT want to use the LED ones from Truck-Lite. Any recommendations? What specs am I looking for, size etc?

Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Hella makes 7 inch round H4 housings you can use a variety of H4 bulbs with them. I have run higher wattage off-road use bulbs with good results. Don't get the cheapie housings they suck pay the few bucks more for the original Hellas. They can be found discounted online. You will need a pair of H4 pigtail plugs get the ceramic ones they are cheap on ebay the plastic ones will melt with higher wattage bulbs. You can crimp or solder the mil packard connectors into the plus wires.

DatGuyC

There isn't a thread on the lights, I pieced it together myself. The hella glass housings I got were part number 002395031, you can find them on ebay. The bulbs I used are Hella 24v 100/90W h4's part number H83140041. I got them from amazon for less than $10 each. If you search on Ebay for "h4 headlight sockets" you should get a lot of results, I went with ceramic sockets so they can take the heat better, they were less than $1 each from china. Lastly if you don't have any military type packard connectors you are going to need those to plug into the headlight housings on the hood. Those can also be found on ebay but I found eriks military supply to be cheaper, part number MS27142-2 for a pack of 10 of the female 14 gauge connectors. One pack should be enough, each headlight only needs 3 connectors. You can either crimp or solder the metal parts onto the end of the wires, I solder because I dont have the correct crimping tool and it was just easier for me. I'll have to look at the wiring diagram but I believe wire 17 is high-beam, 18 low-beam, and 91 ground. They should be marked in the headlight housing. Heres a picture of the wiring for a h4 bulb.
View attachment 565942

tage

Hella makes 7 inch round H4 housings you can use a variety of H4 bulbs with them. I have run higher wattage off-road use bulbs with good results. Don't get the cheapie housings they suck pay the few bucks more for the original Hellas. They can be found discounted online. You will need a pair of H4 pigtail plugs get the ceramic ones they are cheap on ebay the plastic ones will melt with higher wattage bulbs. You can crimp or solder the mil packard connectors into the plus wires.
I was considering this route. Thanks for the tips on the ceramic plugs.

papakb

I've been running halogen H4s in my vehicles for years and love them. I have a set of Hellas in my HMMWV with 24v bulbs installed and i also run the higher output (90-100W) bulbs. I have a set of cheapie Autopals in my 151 that work just as well. I think the quality of the bulb is more important than the lamp. Be careful to make sure you buy DOT approved lights if you do the conversion. You will be happy with it.

kurt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks