• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement of Torque Rods (Dog Bones) Question

rwminck

Hello All, I have searched and can't find the TM or any posts on replacement of the dog bones. I currently have the most rear, rear axle on jack stands and can't tell if there is any unsprung weight of the rods? If I knock out the bolts am I going to get a surprise? Tires are off the most rear axle but on the front rear axle. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dog bones hold the axles in alignment. If you have one axle on jack stands, there shouldn't be any torsion since the axle would have moved into alignment while on the jack. You may have to maneuver the axle to align the new dog bone though.

The term "un-sprung weight" may be a little confusing. Un-sprung weight is everything from where the spring contacts the axle to the ground. In the case of a Deuce, the axles and tires are un-sprung. Parts like the dog bones and drive shafts are partially sprung because one end is sprung through the chassis and the other end is un-sprung being attached to the axle.

Pugsley

That looks more like a ball joint and would not have as much travel as a heim joint. But seeing that I would think a covered heim would work fine also.

rustystud

That looks more like a ball joint and would not have as much travel as a heim joint. But seeing that I would think a covered heim would work fine also.
I have never seen a Heim joint big enough for the deuce application. If someone did make it, it would be so expensive that you could change out all the dogbones and still have money left over for the price of one Heim joint. When the time comes to replace mine I plan on using the ones from Eriks like Adxavier06 did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks