• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacement power train or motor options?

2wheels70

I've searched it yes
Come to a few recommendations only to find places out of business
I'm sure to many these are just toys
I drive mine fairly often and 30 miles to work on occasion
I'm not completely against a used tested motor but have seen some places advertising them then threads about what was stated about the motors wasn't true so...
Has anyone found a reliable source for either good used military takeouts or realistically priced reman/new long blocks?
Have considered a Cummins or gas conversion but honestly would just like to either remain 6.2 or possibly upgrade to 6.5
Mines an 89 😀 that still does the job but I can tell it's not going to keep on keeping on forever

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Jasper will sell you a reman long block for what your truck is practically worth.

Buy a junk engine and rebuild it in your garage and at your own budget and pace.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2wheels70

I'd honestly build a motor myself but a couple considerations are
Buying a few junks that may be cracked block/heads
Local machine shops are spotty unfortunately

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'd honestly build a motor myself but a couple considerations are
Buying a few junks that may be cracked block/heads
Local machine shops are spotty unfortunately
Quite a few in nashville actually. Hamilton's is a company i have used before. I know people that will give you their stacks of old junk 6.2s. Most of them are #8 slaps.

There is no quality assurance with government stuff.

I have a 6.5 turbo GEP in Cookeville that you can hear run before you buy it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Action

I got a 6.2 at a junkyard for like $200. I had to switch everything over from humvee engine. It is just a regular GM block.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought Nashville was the birthplace of stock car racing.

I would have guessed there would be engine builders at every street corner.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ted's Trucks n Stuff is my top pick for a tested boroscoped GEP 6.5. I will never rebuild another crack prone GM 6.2 or 6.5 given the seeming endless supply of GEP engines.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While the majority of their motors are good, not all of them are. Look over on dieselplace for more info on Teds 6.5 motors. I have had nothing but good experiences with teds, but that guy didnt.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the majority of their motors are good, not all of them are. Look over on dieselplace for more info on Teds 6.5 motors. I have had nothing but good experiences with teds, but that guy didnt.
If you dig into that situation, that is why they started borescoping the engines, because of that occurrence.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don't know that I would go THAT far. MANY folks have had good luck with them(ted's), myself included. I just wanted it known that they are take-out motors, not brandy new and even if new, theresno guarantee. I would say the "Richingalvestin's" BRANDY new motor was a debacle.

2wheels70

Nothing against Ted's but I read that awhile back and obviously they aren't new motors but that whole mess left me feeling like a motor from him was a bad idea
I never did read where he got anything but two bad ones unfortunately
I know how the internet goes but I also read where Ted's was invited to the thread but never seemed to show up
S"'😀t happens it's what happens after that matters most

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing against Ted's but I read that awhile back and obviously they aren't new motors but that whole mess left me feeling like a motor from him was a bad idea
I never did read where he got anything but two bad ones unfortunately
I know how the internet goes but I also read where Ted's was invited to the thread but never seemed to show up
S"'t happens it's what happens after that matters most
Your taking a gamble with any used motor , it doesn't matter where you get it . Most junkyards offer a 30 day warranty (if they offer any at all) on the motor but not any related parts or labor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks