• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing 6TL / 6TMF batteries w/ Civis

PUZZLED

Hello All,

A few weeks ago the batteries in my Deuce decided to commit suicide while I was 40 miles away from home at a shooting competition. Luckily there was a guy there with a dually that pulled me up a bit so i could get her running. (in fact he did it twice because i wanted to stop and have a beer w/ the guys... Thanks Dale).

So I've spent a good bit of time digging around for replacement batteries and info on the swap. It seems there is a lot of conversation all around about the different batteries and switching to Civis from the parts store, but no concrete info. I work on cars for a living so, due to experience, I'll NEVER put an Optima in anything but my worst enemies car. I also don't like the price of the easily attainable batteries, or the wait it would take me to get the correct battery for cheap. On top of all that, the warranties for all the normal options are terrible. They range from the "tail light" warranty -to- "one year, limited".

Goal:
Fix truck inexpensively w/ parts of o.k. quality or an awesome warranty to combat the lack there of, and do it WITHOUT having to get crazy w/ bracket or cable modifications.

Batteries:
I ended up at Advanced Autoparts because it was the closest to my house, AND I will never buy anything from Twilight Zone. I got two AutoCraft batteries w/ 700 CCA and 130 Reserve for ~$225 after tax and core WITH a 3 year NO B.S. warranty + several months of Pro-rating after that. I'm sure there are a lot of people that won't agree w/ my choice for one reason or another, but i'm not here to argue so stuff it. I live in South Texas where we see below 40 degrees 2 or 3 days out of the year, and I don't run any equipment on the truck so the Reserve doesn't come in to play at all. I also drive it about 4 days a week between work and the range, so she ain't sittin much.

I picked them out by sight and ended up getting lucky. They are the exact same height + Length as the Exide 6TMF that i took out, AND conveniently the same width as the notched out area in the battery hold down. They also work great for the length of intermediate battery cable that came w/ my truck (the little one in the middle). I ended up putting the Intermediate cable towards the inside of the battery box, and stretching the main B+ and B- to the outside of the box.

Install:
Before putting the batteries in I checked the Electrolyte level and topped them off w/ Distilled water. Sure they say "Maintenance Free" but i treat that as if the government wrote it. Every battery ends up in a Hot 18 wheeler and then in a Hot warehouse, so some water is going to be lost. I own a Midtronics battery tester so i gave them both a check before putting them in. I ended up w/ 756CCA on one and 809CCA on the other. I put the weaker one on a slow charge for about 90 minutes to bring as close to the other as possible before install.

Once i was happy w/ the charge I put them in the box and pushed the hold down bracket around the edges. The fit is GREAT! The bottom of the box holds them from sliding side to side, the notches in the bracket prevent fore and aft movement, and a few feet long piece of .250" x .5" mild steel slid through the center of the battery caps holds them down perfectly. This piece of steel is the only "modification" needed since the little cable fits fine. I just eyeballed it so i can't give you an exact length, but i can tell you i paid less than $5 for a 21 foot piece of .25 X .5 steel so its not going to brake the bank. There is a partial ridge on both sides of the hold down bracket that i wedged the piece under, and then snugged the J-bolt nuts down until nothing was able to move.

Finish:
Everything looked great once the box was back in the truck. Bringing the positive cable to the outside of the box was no big deal at all. Just had to pull some slack out of it under the frame rail. I did have to flip the bolt that holds the two cables on the Negative connection around. The threaded ends of the bolt were hitting the battery cap. Once flipped, all was gravy.

I added a good number of pictures so you can see the different steps of the install, and the results of my tester. Also pay attention to the orientation of the + and - connections if you plan on doing the same thing w/ different batteries. I will also post up a video of it starting once finished. The truck had been sitting for about 2 weeks so i let the fuel pump run for a while, but she busted right off. This is also an opportunity to post pictures of the truck and spread some good ole RON PAUL 2012 Love

Hope this helps someone, and good day to all :beer:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark2X2

Puzzled,
When I did mine, built a longer center cable so the neg was on the left & pos on the right at the back of the battery box. It pulls out like it should, with plenty of slack in the cables. Also ran two pieces of flat stock the other way so it ties each battery length ways and welded them in. If for some reason some one wants to return it to stock, the flat stock welds can be trimmed off.

RealCavDog

Very good thread with lots of detail and great photos !

Thanks for all the effort to share this information and also good to know that the 24F-6 is such a good fit !

Keep us advised on how the summer heat and winter cold starts go !

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice install and I would love to have a battery meter like that one!

Just curious as to your Optima experiances- I have one that is 12yrs old and spent a week submerged in salt water that will still fire my old pickup right up even if I have to crank for awhile. I've got a couple of newer ones in my M109 and they will light it off like no ones business as well.

Awesome Possum

I use used AGM computer backup batteries in my deuce, the one before that, and all my other vehicles (until they stopped making them in smaller sizes like group size 24's.) They're a lot heavier than even Optima's, so inspite of them being deep cycle they have tremendous starting power. New they are expensive, but getting good ones 2-3 years old can be reasonable. Keep your eyes open.

PUZZLED

Very nice install and I would love to have a battery meter like that one!

Just curious as to your Optima experiances- I have one that is 12yrs old and spent a week submerged in salt water that will still fire my old pickup right up even if I have to crank for awhile. I've got a couple of newer ones in my M109 and they will light it off like no ones business as well.
I am curious about your Optima experience as well, just from having seen so many in streetrods and customs.
I have been working for GM dealers for 10+ years and the Optimas cause all kinds of wierd problems. They may be just fine for a military truck, but i refuse to use them in anything i own.

If you can imagine a strange electrical problem in a 1996+ up vehicle, I have seen it caused by an Optima battery. GM put AGM batteries in the corvettes for a few years, but switched right back over to a flooded style maint. free due to all the problems they caused for the computers.

If they are working for you, Keep them. I'm just not a fan. I'm also a bit biased. Never ask a guy that works on broken Chevrolets all day, which one is a good one to buy..... NONE of them... they are all junk ;-) (yet i only see the broken ones)

Cheers

86m1028

Dont blame the battery for the junky gm electrical parts.

And yes I do own gm products. Traded off an 08 because dealer COULDNT fix it.

Mark2X2

Puzzled,
When I did mine, built a longer center cable so the neg was on the left & pos on the right at the back of the battery box. It pulls out like it should, with plenty of slack in the cables. Also ran two pieces of flat stock the other way so it ties each battery length ways and welded them in. If for some reason some one wants to return it to stock, the flat stock welds can be trimmed off.

Added a picture of my battery box with Wal-Mart batteries.

Attachments

PUZZLED

Added a picture of my battery box with Wal-Mart batteries.
LOOKS GREAT,
I would have done mine the same way but i got impatient, and wanted to do a "How to" on here that just about anyone could do on their truck. I had already ordered the battery connectors and 6ft. of wire, but did it this way before the mail made it to the house. Maybe I'll do it better when these go out

Awesome Possum

I use used AGM computer backup batteries in my deuce, the one before that, and all my other vehicles (until they stopped making them in smaller sizes like group size 24's.) They're a lot heavier than even Optima's, so inspite of them being deep cycle they have tremendous starting power. New they are expensive, but getting good ones 2-3 years old can be reasonable. Keep your eyes open.
I started my truck yesterday for the first time in six months, and the batteries had not been given a maintenance charge of any kind during that time. Took about 15-20 seconds of cranking and it started right up. Turned the engine over like starting a Toyota. [thumbzup]

Darwin T

i had the batteries die in one of my deuces (not Optima's). i am getting 2 more Optima's and install them. i have had Optima's in my M109a3 for a couple of years and i love it. i am going to move those to the M35a2 and put the new ones in the M109a3. i am replacing the rusted out metal battery box in the M35a2 anyway and the optima's in the M109a3 are in a plastic battery box, and i have a new plastic battery box for the new batteries. just one metal battery box left.

Last Man Standing

Just replaced 2 6TMF batteries with 2 Group 65 Autocraft 850 CCA with 150 reserve...any thoughts on this selection? $135.00 each. (1969 M109A3)6TMF batteries

Last edited:

brianp454

My batteries are Group 24 deep cycle batteries and nearly 7 years old. The truck sat much of the winter in a barn waiting to get the front axle rebuilt. After sitting for ~3-4 months it could not crank over well enough to start in the cold. I think much of it is the age of the batteries, they are rated at only 500CCA. Deep cycle batteries are great if you are trolling in a lake or running a radio for 4 days, BUT I want my batteries to start my truck (high CCA is better). I'm looking at G65 batteries the same as you. G27 is another good choice as they are very similar in capability to G65. I'm looking at these battery sizes because they are the biggest regular commercial versions to fit in my steel box. Keep me posted as I may be needing some new batteries as I get the front end and all of the brakes redone... late this month?

Just replaced 2 6TMF batteries with 2 Group 65 Autocraft 850 CCA with 150 reserve...any thoughts on this slection? $135.00 each. (1969 M109A3)6TMF batteries

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont blame the battery for the junky gm electrical parts.
+1000 for this! We've got a 2004 GMC Canyon. We bought it new and have had dozens of recalls on it for electrical issues. It's got 240k miles on it and the only reason we still own it is the wife is too cheap to buy something else (her truck).

I put Series 31s in the new 5 ton. I got "reconditioned" (read used and recharged) at an Interstate dealer in San Antonio. $40 each plus core. I figure at that price I can risk them not lasting as long as a new one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks