• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing A3 wheel counter weights

CanonNinja

Noticed 2 of my wheels dont have the counterbalance weights on them, and wanted to double check the procedure. I cant find the TMs for the truck right now, so please go easy on me :oops:

If I understand correctly, I can air down the tire, pull the wheel nut, and replace the weight and nut without adversely effecting the wheel o-ring?

jasonjc

Nut sure on the M35A3 but on the M939A2's there is a PS mag thing that says to put the weight on upside down over the nut then put another nut on top. This is so if you need to put the spare on you can take the weight off and put it on the spare. As the wheel bolt nut has a high torqe. Hope this makes sense.

Alredneck

Banned
Hey if yall dont mind send this info to the guy broke down in MO with A3 tire issues, im thinking its his weights or tires! I dont have a pic of em either or the -10. Thanks!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nut sure on the M35A3 but on the M939A2's there is a PS mag thing that says to put the weight on upside down over the nut then put another nut on top. This is so if you need to put the spare on you can take the weight off and put it on the spare. As the wheel bolt nut has a high torqe. Hope this makes sense.
This is not correct for the M35A3. The weight goes directly against the wheel with one nut holding it on and it is oriented correctly, not upside down. The spare is not supposed to have a wheel weight, because when the spare is mounted, the CTIS is not installed. You can airdown the tire, and it is critical that you do so if you remove a nut. Don't remove more than one nut to install the wheel weight. Make sure you follow the torque recommendations in the TM. I'm assuming here that the CTIS wheel valve, air lines and rock shield are all installed. If not, your wheel will be very out of balance if you install the counterweight.

m56-mike

M35A3 Wheel Weights

Hello
Have a good buddy Nam Vet whom has bought an A3 as his weekend driver. He has a really bad hop at speed and I realized he has one of these weights missing.. Anyone have one I can beg borrow or steal.. This guy does me allot of favors..

Mike

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you can't find the weights (I had three I tried to give away a while back, but ended up scrapping them) Toss three more lug nuts on the wheel. It will help.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a lot of these for sale on Ebay. There have been a lot of guys removing the CTIS from A3s so you should be able to find them easily, perhaps for free.

CanonNinja

I think I paid $12 ea for 2 weights and $7 shipping from Erik's. And it was fairly straight forward, jack up, air down, replace weight, go backwards. at 90psi my poor compressor was working overtime to air back up