• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing clutch in 1970 m35 a2

georgia_deuce

any suggestions on how to go about this, I can figure out the exchange itself, it is just handling the trannie that concerns me

FreightTrain

Banned
Not real hard.Take the passenger seat out,then the shifter,the center section of the floor and you can get to the tranny.I used a cherry picker and that wasn't a great idea.The cross member was all kinda in the way(didn't help I was doing this in the back yard on the grass).If you can,use some sorta jack under the tranny so you can raise and lower and move it front to back.

Towman2277

I have found that taking out the seats, and the center section "hump", then putting two large pieces of hard, block wood on each side, and suspending a chain fall from a piece 0f 6"x6" works great!! It gives you stability and allows movement to "swing" the tranny back and lower it down. [thumbzup]

westfolk

A good tranny(preferrably) or floor jack makes it a piece of cake. If you use a floor jack you can end up playing "balance the tranny". It is doable single handedly. Extra set of hands really makes it a walk in the park. Other than taking the shifter off nothing else "in cab" needs to be done up there doing it this way. Drop it right down out of your way do your thing. Jack it right back up and in. Works for me, my 2 cents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do mine through the cab with either a come-a-long, engine crane or the military tranny hoist I have. I can have the tranny on the ground in less than 45 minutes. I do have plenty of practice.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: replacing clutch in 1970 m35 a2

mangus580 said:
A chainfall, on a 4x4 through the windshield works great too
That's my method too. Seat removal not necessary.
Tranny weights about 200 lb/90 kg.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'll second what Steve said - get someone to help you - another set of eyes - and a set of fingers that can dial 911 if need be - are invaluable.

As far as technique - I've used a engine hoist (my favorite) - a M62 wrecker - and a large floor jack during various transmission pulls. I own a neat little hoist made just for this - but so far haven't used it. The floor jack is my least favorite. In addition to the obvious transmission-transfer case driveshaft, be sure and disconnect the PTO shaft and linkages if the truck has a winch, and the sprag linkage if the truck doesn't have an air-shift front axle. I remove two of the bolts in diagonally opposite corners of the shift top, and thread them back in through the links of a stout chain.

I dunno exactly how much the transmission weighs - 5-10 years ago I could move one around singlehandidly - but not easily - today I wouldn't even attempt it!

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

nickd

I have one of the transmission hoists I picked up from Kevin Emdee that I have on the shelf for the new clutch install when the truck needs it. The hoist manual is in the manual section for reprint. Its a neat little contraption as it not only hoists the transmission up and down but will allow the transmission to be moved fore and aft at the same height sliding on the rotating shaft that provides lift. Its a stout little tool and probably cost the military a small fortune to procure. With the hoist I think I could replace the transmission and or clutch/pressure plate alone or with minimal assistance in short order.

red devils dude

tranny weighs about 200lbs maybe less I just pulled it off the deuce's bed by hand, bad idea it's heavy up that high.
A chainfall, on a 4x4 through the windshield is one of the best ways I did it that way with mike's(manugs580) help it went very smoothly.

MN_DEUCE

also anther tip if you use a tranz jack/floor jack I always use tie down straps to strap the tranny to the jack so it will not suddenly move and roll off the jack :shock:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
working under the truck, with that thing balanced on a jack, it is quite dangerous. best to have a helper and also use the above mentioned 4x4 etc. methods if anything else to limit the distance the unit can fall should it come off the jack.