• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Deuce Clutch

cbvet

Have to put a clutch in my 1952 Studebaker "Reo" gas deuce. I've put a few car & light truck clutches in, but never anything this big.
I seem to recall someone posting pictures of a homemade "Winch" setup used inside the cab to support the trans while moving it to the rear. Anyone know where that is?
Any tips on doing this job?
I still have to get the parts. Any one know a good source for the disc, pressure-plate, & throwout bearing?
Thanks,
Eric

red devils dude

I dont know much about gasser's but when I pulled my tranny I put a 4X4 from back of cab out windshield
chain hoist from 4X4 to tranny and unbolt every thing but dont forget to pull front drive shaft and shaft from
tranny to t-case and yes you have to take the bench seat out then pull floor pan.

Clem1226

it's not difficult to do, it's actually easier getting to the bellhousing bolts than on most civilian vehicles, just make sure you have an alignment tool for the disc!!!!! save yourself a lot of time and pain.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the military tranny hoist that sits on the floor. It works great but before that it was the 4x4 across the cab and a furniture dolly to get it out from under the truck. When you place your hoist or comealong, consider the 6" or so you will need to swing it back to get it out and back in. When I pull mine with the comealong, I put the winch a little farther back to swing it out and them move it fwd for the install. If you guys ever get a shot at one of these tranny hoists, get it. It's worth taking the seats out to use it!

Clem1226

so that is what that thing sitting in the tool cage was, we never knew it was a tranny hoist!! we just used to use the boom on my 543A2 and beleive it or not from 93 to 97 I was driveing a 543A2 on active duty, then they upgraded me to an 816. :)

cbvet

I'll have a go at it!

Thanks for the tips guys!
I've got a Desert Storm vet who was a mechanic. He has offered to give me a hand.
Now how about a parts source?
Eric

rmgill

I wonder if Bjorn will get a battery powered hydraulic power unit so he can do this kind of clutch change with his knuckle boom.

Seems like that hoist unit could easily be built with a welder and raw steel tubing and a few other bits. No

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks