• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Injection Pump

erasedhammer

Looks like, as usual, no auto shop will touch the humvee.

So I'll be doing the swap myself. Hummer knowledge base has concise instructions. Even though they don't mention anything about bleeding the system afterwards to replacing the gaskets...

The unbolting and bolting seems pretty straight forward, and lining up the new pump where the old pump was in its timing cycle doesn't seem too difficult.

Couple questions,
I probably need to remove part of the intake because its over the pump itself, but is it necessary to remove the entire intake manifold? I don't have the gasket for that, probably be able to pick it up at an auto parts store? (NAPA maybe?)

I'll be to the point, is there a detailed write up of doing this that someone has written somewhere?

Even if this was in the manual, doubt it would be very detailed.

badtruck

You'll need the intake off. You'll need a crowfoot for the lines, and be careful when reinstalling them on the pump because they're easy to cross thread and tricky to get started (use multiple extensions to get on the bottom ones and install the bottom/harder ones first). Don't drop the 3 bolts that are inside the oil fill tube into your engine block. You can stuff that area with a rag to prevent it and/or put grease or silicon in your socket so they stick to your socket. Lastly, the little triangle gasket is easy to rip so be careful with that too while you're lining the pump up.

erasedhammer

https://www.stanadyne.com/dealer-locator/ I had one 30 miles from me. Had AAA haul it over. My FI pump was leaking around the accelerator shaft. They pulled the pump, replaced the external seals all for about $650.
Sounds easy, only problem is that most shops don't let me bring in my own parts. Liability, warranty, and other stuff I supposed.
Problem is I already have my pump, and just want them to swap it. So many shops are afraid of this.

erasedhammer

You'll need the intake off. You'll need a crowfoot for the lines, and be careful when reinstalling them on the pump because they're easy to cross thread and tricky to get started (use multiple extensions to get on the bottom ones and install the bottom/harder ones first). Don't drop the 3 bolts that are inside the oil fill tube into your engine block. You can stuff that area with a rag to prevent it and/or put grease or silicon in your socket so they stick to your socket. Lastly, the little triangle gasket is easy to rip so be careful with that too while you're lining the pump up.
So intake off, oil filler off, and won't I need to replace all those gaskets? Or should I just reuse the existing ones. My 6.2 was rebuilt in 2013 so everything is relatively new.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Once you get the pump on, pull out the glow plugs and crank it over till you get fuel mist out of(all) the GP holes. Then put them back in and fire her up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Remove from motor.
It will create no compression so you don't wear out the batteries and you'll be able to see when all injectors are injecting.

badtruck

So intake off, oil filler off, and won't I need to replace all those gaskets? Or should I just reuse the existing ones. My 6.2 was rebuilt in 2013 so everything is relatively new.
You don't need to replace the intake gasket, but the injection pump gasket you definitely will.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks