• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing M1008 exhaust system

86M10086.2L

So after half the exhaust system fell off my truck. I suppose I now have to replace it. I want to run a dual system like the factory one that came with the truck. I talked to a few muffler shops and they all wanted $600 or more, no beuno. LMC has a replacement sytem for around $225, ok but uses crappy walker style mufflers. Restrictive and very quiet. Summit has some do it yourself kits ( mandrel bent! ) for the truck and I can choose what mufflers I want for about $400. Thats most likely what I'm gonna do. Problem is there are no kits listed for the 6.2L diesel. What I need to know is the exit locations of the manifolds on the 6.2. Are they the same as any of the GM small or big block engines? IE can a system from a small or big block truck be used on the 6.2? I dont want to hack/modify if i dont have to. I dont want a single pipe kit. I've already had to settle with 2 1/4" pipes. 2 1/2" kits are stupidly expensive. Thoughts? I'd love some info

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've redone two of these dual exhaust systems, one 6.2L one a gas 350, both the same stock exhaust. Napa has the pipes and mufflers but it isn't cheap even with a discount.

bearboley

Strait down at the rear with a three bolt flange. I don't think there the same as a small or a big block there kinda in between. I would Take my old one off and have a muffler shop make me some headpipes to drop down for the duals and start back from there. If you wanted all new If I were doing it on the cheap I would cut the y pipe and start there because don't the pipes have to run down the same side of truck. Or you could go with a new y pipe and a 1 in and 2 out flowmaster they sound good on the 6.2L

86M10086.2L

Pretty much all the piping on my truck is shot. I can modify a existing system if I need to. Just hate to spend the money on something new I know isnt going to fit. My plan is for 50 series flowmasters on the truck. I've heard 40's and delta 40's can be rather obnoxious on long trips

bearboley

Yea these muffler shops have crazy prices. My buddy has the 50 series on his 454 3/4 chevy with pipes out the back and I thinks it quiet you can only hear the motor under hard acceleration. I think a factory y pipe from napa and a 50 series 1 in the center with 2 out and a couple factory tailpipes out behind the wheels would be what I would do. I run a 6.2 with a 6.5 turbo strait piped 3" and its not loud at all

AJMBLAZER

The manifold positions are the same as on a 350 SBC. I know for sure because I swapped the 350 out of my truck and put in a 6.2 with no mods to the exhaust.
What he said. Just buy a manifold back system for a 80's K30 longbed with a SBC and it'll bolt right too it.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so you used the same system on a gas and a diesel truck? everyone is telling me the manifolds exit differently on a diesel and you cant use a gas system.
Put a dual exhaust system from a M1010 on my K30 gas dually, fit exactly.
the fact that they were both 4wd is why they were the same.

86M10086.2L

Very cool, this news just made me very happy. Gonna Order up a hooker exhaust kit, and some stainless steel 50 series flowmaster mufflers (cuz they're only 8 bucks more than the steel ones).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks