• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing M936A1 Wrecker Hoist Cable

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Today I replaced the oil seal in the center of the hoist crane gear box side cover, opened up the brake housing to clean it out and readjust the brake band, and re-seal both covers with RTV in place of the old paper/cork gaskets. Here are some pictures if the innards.

Attachments

groundog

i put all new cable and clevis on my 5 ton winch---had a crane co. install the clevis--i wanted to make sure it was installed properly---safety first

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Today I refilled the hoist winch gearboxes and installed the new cable. I haven't put on the clevis end fitting yet, though, because I need to buy or make an assembly tool to clamp the cable in a vise. And of course, that got me thinking about getting a proper vise for the front bumper, but I don't feel like spending around a grand on a correct new one just now.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
slide ferrell on cable,use a vice grip to hold the cable , spread the end, cut the fiber core, start the star wedge, insert wedge and cable in socket, tighten down ferrell (put bar though socket with socket on ground, use BIG wrench to tighten ferrell)

If I can do a 5/8", I know you can do a 1/2"

Ord22

There is an oil perserve that you apply to the cable as you're installing it. Don't know the actual name for it. This prevents rust and keeps the cable flexiable under load.

Csm Davis

slide ferrell on cable,use a vice grip to hold the cable , spread the end, cut the fiber core, start the star wedge, insert wedge and cable in socket, tighten down ferrell (put bar though socket with socket on ground, use BIG wrench to tighten ferrell)

If I can do a 5/8", I know you can do a 1/2"
Not quite Ron you are suppose to drive the plug down into the cable a specific amount and wrap the cable back over the end of the cable so when you have it assembled you can see the ends of the wires in the inspection hole and the sleeve should be tightened until only four or less threads are showing. But after you load the cable you might not can see the ends of the cable in the inspection hole. I wouldn't use vise grips on the cable the teeth can damage the cable right at the weakest point and make it weaker, I have spent many hours looking at and talking to the engineers of Esmet and several wireline manufactures,in most cases the point of termination is the weakest part of the assembly. Please don't take a shortcut here it may prove deadly. The assembly tools are only thirty or forty dollars or if you are a do it yourself kind they even tell you how to make the right tool.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I just ordered the Esmet assembly kit since I didn't have a suitable chunk of aluminum sitting around to make the cable clamp thingy. Part number for the 1/2" kit is SP-307-L, and the cost was $50 + tax and shipping. I ordered it from American Rigging in San Diego, at 619-233-5625. They got the end fitting to me pretty quickly, so maybe I'll have the assembly kit by this weekend. I know I could just install the end fitting with vise grips, but I'm a tool geek anyway. ;)

Here's the assembly instructions PDF linked to above, as an attachment.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I had to take a break from working on the wrecker for a few weeks, but I finally finished the hoist cable replacement today. My first try didn't work out right, so I chopped off a few inches of cable and tried again. The second try looks like a winner. I still need to do a good, heavy test lift, but when I shut down the truck I found that my fan clutch actuator valve gave up the ghost, and fixing that will be a higher priority.

And now, here are some pictures!

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Captain Plenty Vise..

Kudos on the Jubilee clip (UK for 'hose clamp'), brilliant idea.

So, that vise, assuming you have a spare or it's the shop one on wheels.... But maybe you have a fancy demountable bracket for the bumperette???

Please shed some light on that little gem :?!

I'll be redoing my front winch Esmet today - not done correctly! First put it together after repairing the sleve nut and straightening the plug without the Esmet instructions.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I stumbled on the hose clamp trick myself while wrestling with the rope to get it to fit into the clevis without fraying. Then when I re-checked the instructions to make sure I didn't miss anything, I saw the part where they mentioned that a hose clamp may be useful on larger ropes. Derp!

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the vise is just a Harbor Freight vise sitting on the bumperette. I would like to add the correct Wilton vise (or the other, slightly cheaper brand that's also correct, but I like the looks of the Wilton one better) on the front bumper someday, if I don't end up selling the truck to help pay my vet bills.

My hoist motor makes a noise that doesn't sound right to me. I think I ought to try to capture the sound on a YouTube video so I can ask other M936 folks for their opinions about whether it sounds like there's something wrong with my hydraulic motor.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... but if it wasn't noisey, it wouldn't justify the "Hearing Protection" decal!

My 816 hiost motor is pretty loud too.

Csm Davis

Kudos on the Jubilee clip (UK for 'hose clamp'), brilliant idea.

So, that vise, assuming you have a spare or it's the shop one on wheels.... But maybe you have a fancy demountable bracket for the bumperette???

Please shed some light on that little gem :?!

I'll be redoing my front winch Esmet today - not done correctly! First put it together after repairing the sleve nut and straightening the plug without the Esmet instructions.
Zebedee the plug and sleeves are available separately if your plug was bent your sleeve and plug should be replaced they recommend replacement if you remove them if the clevis is okay

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... the plug and sleeves are available separately if your plug was bent your sleeve and plug should be replaced they recommend replacement if you remove them if the clevis is okay
Thanks Jeff... I knew the second after I pressed "Submit reply" that I'd catch grief for saying/doing that!
I'm a not so much a tight wad as would rather repair something than replace it. Even when my time would be worth many times the replacement cost!
The plug wasn't that bad and being bronze or brass, cold formed back to shape.. Even if it broke, it would do the same job simply as a contained form for the wires, The nut was split on the unthreaded shoulder. It wasn't a hard steel so I 'glued' it back together!

But yes - generally you are quite correct especially when safety is at steak.

ByTheWay - were you interested in me splitting a pair of chain feet?

Csm Davis

Not grief brother just fair warning the only cable injury I have first hand knowledge of on the hoist cable is from a broken sleeve failure and it almost killed someone, and most cable failures on any of the wreckers cables have been the sleeve it is the one part I won't reuse if at all possible.

Jared

Nice photo sequence on the Esmet install. Your truck looks really clean. Can you post a few more sometime?
Thanks,
Jared

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
perfect instructions and pics on the Esmet install. Now I know what I need and how to do it. Now all I need is the chain and hook.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks