• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing my Alt dash gauges?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. Not without rewireing a bunch of stuff.

Since you said two alt gauges, we will assume you are talking about a CUCV. (always helps to tell us what vehicle you are working on)

The CUCV alternators use the idiot lights as part of the excitor circuit. It doesn't draw much amperage. Without the lights, the excitor circuit will not function and the alternators will not "excite" (turn on)

The gauges you listed are designed to go in the output side of the alternator, where all the load is.

caladin

Thanks sorry I forgot to post that it was a blazer. Well that is a bummer. I was hoping it was all wrapped into one. I am looking to replace all the gauges in my dash for a cleaner more practical setup. Back to the drawing board It seems. So what do those lights mean then? I mean if I hook up the other gauges to the load and I have excellant load then would I need an idiot light telling me the alternator is good bad or ?

Mind you Im a electricaly challenged.

Barrman

Yes, in theory. The gauges will tell you if the alternators are charging or not. However, if you remove the idiot lights as wired stock, the gauges will always show you no charging is taking place.

The alternator has to be turned on. Since the CUCV trucks have two, both have to be turned on. Turning on a 27SI Delco alternator is as simple as putting 12 volts to the exciter wire or plug on the side of the alternator. The idiot lights on a stock truck are part of that exciter wire circuit. Removing the lights disables the circuit.

Sure, wiring around them and all that could be done. However, why? The truck already has a volt meter that pretty much tells you if an alternator is working or not. Truck running and needle at the top of the yellow = 1 non working alternator. Truck running and needle in the middle of the yellow = two non working alternators. Truck running and needle in the middle of the green = two working alternators.

I would be and actually am more concerned with a temperature gauge, oil psi gauge and a tach. The charging system is pretty much covered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks