• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Radiator with Aluminum

mbavers

1984 M1008. Thinking of replacing radiator with aluminum. If I do, what type anti freeze do I use. I've spent so much time reading all the info (some of it conflicting) that my brain hurts. Does anyone know for certain what in heck difference between pink, yellow, red, whatever?? I guess I won't be able to use good old green anymore.

Also, would appreciate leads on recommended radiator and where to buy.

Jeepadict

Many positive things about Champion Radiators in Orange, CA. Tell them you have an '84 Chevy K30 w/the 6.2L Diesel and TH400 trans...don't mention it's a CUCV.

My reccomendation is the standard common green coolant at a 50/50 mix. No need to make it more complicated, KISS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Finnegan1008

A high quality 50/50 standard coolant mix has worked well for me with both aftermarket aluminum radiators and in marine applications that use a mix of aluminum and bronze cooling system parts.

Make sure to use distilled water for the mix

mbavers

A high quality 50/50 standard coolant mix has worked well for me with both aftermarket aluminum radiators and in marine applications that use a mix of aluminum and bronze cooling system parts.

Make sure to use distilled water for the mix
What is a standard coolant? I look in the auto parts store and there must be 10 or so different types-even different "standard old green"-which is supposed to not work well with aluminum.

Finnegan1008

What is a standard coolant? I look in the auto parts store and there must be 10 or so different types-even different "standard old green"-which is supposed to not work well with aluminum.
I’m referring to the green stuff, I’ve never read that it doesn’t play well with aluminum UNLESS you don’t use the right water. People mix with regular tap water and that will potentially contain minerals that will damage the radiator. If in doubt don’t use concentrated coolant and get the pre mixed.

Green coolant comes in radiators that are aluminum cored from the factory.

here’s an article

https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/14054309-what-coolant-should-i-use-with-an-aluminum-radiator

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used standard green is most applications UNLESS specific needs dictate otherwise: sensative components, special seals, specific temperature, ect.
IMHO it is the use of tap water, having chemicals and minerals, that is the biggest contributor to problems. USE DISTILLED

Here is a COPPER / ALUMINUM heater core ( I understand your radiator is aluminum ) with LESS than 200 hours run time. Green coolant with tap water.
The new core is well over 1100 hours, 7 years, and still looks ( maybe a little dusty). Used Green coolant and DISTILLED water.

Heater core.jpg

mbavers

Many positive things about Champion Radiators in Orange, CA. Tell them you have an '84 Chevy K30 w/the 6.2L Diesel and TH400 trans...don't mention it's a CUCV.

My reccomendation is the standard common green coolant at a 50/50 mix. No need to make it more complicated, KISS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks.

mbavers

I've used standard green is most applications UNLESS specific needs dictate otherwise: sensative components, special seals, specific temperature, ect.
IMHO it is the use of tap water, having chemicals and minerals, that is the biggest contributor to problems. USE DISTILLED

Here is a COPPER / ALUMINUM heater core ( I understand your radiator is aluminum ) with LESS than 200 hours run time. Green coolant with tap water.
The new core is well over 1100 hours, 7 years, and still looks ( maybe a little dusty). Used Green coolant and DISTILLED water.

View attachment 921562
Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks