• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing rear spring seat pads

yolner

Putting my rear axles back together and ran into an issue with the spring seat pads on the passenger side See the screenshot if you don't know what I'm talking about. On one side they're worn down to nothing and the spring was starting to wear down the bracket. I was able to find replacement pads (waiting on UPS), but I can't figure out how they're supposed to come out of the brackets. The manual just says remove and replace, but beating on them with a punch didn't do a whole lot. My next step is going to be to drill a hole in the center and see if I can yank it out with a slide hammer. Is that a good idea or am I missing something obvious?

Attachments

yolner

Looked at that and he shows one bracket with the pad removed for just a second, but he doesn't say how he got it done. I'm guessing it just needs some violence applied to it since he didn't mention anything special in the video.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of those are loose and fall out when you remove the bracket; others are a tight fit, and then some are like solid, welded in place... But that's only from rust built up.

So don't be shy and just use a bigger punch and heavier hammer, with the bracket firmly supported. PB-blaster; Rust-Off; etc. will help here, too.

My next step is going to be to drill a hole in the center
Ha... good luck with that! It's a hardened piece of steel.

Last edited:

yolner

Bigger hammer did it. Now just have to wait for new ones to come in. Anyone know if there's an aftermarket version of these pads available? Ones I got were NOS and not easy to find.

yolner

Thanks for the offer! I already got some ordered, but I will post the dimensions when they come in. I think in a couple of years they'll be impossible to find.

yolner

Finally got my new spring pads. Here's the dimensions as promised.

OD of the lip at the bottom: 2.865"
Slot in the middle is 1.015" wide and 0.325" deep
OD of the pad: 2.375
Height of the pad measured from the lip to the center of the pad: 1.05"
Height of the pad measured from the lip to the edge of the pad: 0.905"

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got my new spring pads. Here's the dimensions as promised.

OD of the lip at the bottom: 2.865"
Slot in the middle is 1.015" wide and 0.325" deep
OD of the pad: 2.375
Height of the pad measured from the lip to the center of the pad: 1.05"
Height of the pad measured from the lip to the edge of the pad: 0.905"
Height of the "lip"? (should be ~ 0.28")
Radius of the dome? (should be ~ 5.5")

I take it that the total height is 1.05" in the center and 0.905" at the edge?

Please measure to confirm. Thanks!

yolner

Height of the lip is more like 0.265" but it's sort of rounded closer in to the pad.

Total height to the center of the pad is 1.05 and 0.905 at the edge of the pad.

Not sure where I should be seeing the 5.5". Radius of the pad should be 1/2 of the 2.375" OD. Sorry as you can tell I'm not a machinist lol

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure where I should be seeing the 5.5"
The shape of the top of pad is not conical but spherical, machined to a certain radius.

I put your dimensions into a drawing (PDF, all to scale) and found that said radius is more like 5.0"
To confirm it you could compare the contours of the pad with a Ø10" disc as background, and see if they do align, more or less.

If possible, let us know that "r", where you said the "lip is rounded"... (?) Or simply shoot and post some close-ups of that area.

Attachments

Making a spring pad from a peace of scrap it all ready had a hole in the center and I did not even try to dome the top the mounting it in the lathe several different ways I'm learning 'IMG_1325.JPGIMG_1326.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks