• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the CV Axles

Jtalbot

So I started to replace the front CV axles and watched a few videos before hand. Got the tank lifted and removed the passenger tire. Removed the cap, then the bolt, then made my way under the tank. Started to remove the bolts from the rotor but was unable to get them to budge... I also noticed the rotors turned with the vehicle in neutral, drive, and reverse (Emergency brake applied). Used another tool to keep them from rotating but was still unable to remove the bolts. Didn't have access to a lift to use any breaker bar for leverage. I tried using an air wrench but the CV shaft was too close and didn't allow clearance. I got frustrated from fighting with it and it started to rain. I reinstalled everything and called it a day. Before I attempt to tackle the job again, where did I go wrong?

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Losen the bolts before you lift the tire. If you need to. Jack up the tire and rotate it to reach the other bolts. Then lower it back to the ground to break them free. Then lift up the truck, remove the tire and finish up the job.

Ajax MD

LOL...I'd really like @Jtalbot to come back and say that he was able to break 'em loose.
I know I'm going to be doing this job myself and his story is kind of freaking me out!

Jtalbot

Losen the bolts before you lift the tire. If you need to. Jack up the tire and rotate it to reach the other bolts. Then lower it back to the ground to break them free. Then lift up the truck, remove the tire and finish up the job.
Thought about that later... rookie mistake

Try a really long box end wrench.
will do

LOL...I'd really like @Jtalbot to come back and say that he was able to break 'em loose.
I know I'm going to be doing this job myself and his story is kind of freaking me out!
You and me both!! haha

sf1954

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I installed my half shafts, I put a 3/4" (I think) wooden dowel in the access plug hole. It would bind with the wheel spindle and lock up everything from moving. When I needed to rotate the rotors for better access I simply removed the dowel, rotated and reinserted it. It also helped in torqueing the bolts. Just be careful not allow the dowel to splinter or get broken. If my memory is good, I cut the end of dowel off after completing 2 half shafts.
Good Luck

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
TIP or TRICK...? Try blocking of the rotor to remove - replace the 6 half shaft bolts with truck tires off the ground. Front or rear.

I slip a 5/8 open end wrench over a vent web in the rotor. With the angle of the open end... one way it will lock up in the rotor webs and can be held OR my choice let it rotate around to stop against cross member or brake caliper. Pre tighten the ones in view.

Pull the wrench and using the wrench pick another spot on the rotor and lever rotor around to next set of bolts.

Finally, rotate around again and torque to spec. 57 - 60 Ft Lbs plus Nord-Locks and the red stuff.

CAUTION> If backing off of preloaded wrench, it might fall out of web - vent and gravity will take over. One person job, easy, no blood or bruised body parts.

AND won't work if E brake is on...DUH.

Righty tighty. See the pictures, CAMO

IMG_7808.jpgIMG_7810.jpg

Have solid rotors ? U-R SOoL.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TIP or TRICK...? Try blocking of the rotor to remove - replace the 6 half shaft bolts with truck tires off the ground. Front or rear.

I slip a 5/8 open end wrench over a vent web in the rotor. With the angle of the open end... one way it will lock up in the rotor webs and can be held OR my choice let it rotate around to stop against cross member or brake caliper. Pre tighten the ones in view.

Pull the wrench and using the wrench pick another spot on the rotor and lever rotor around to next set of bolts.

Finally, rotate around again and torque to spec. 57 - 60 Ft Lbs plus Nord-Locks and the red stuff.

CAUTION> If backing off of preloaded wrench, it might fall out of web - vent and gravity will take over. One person job, easy, no blood or bruised body parts.

AND won't work if E brake is on...DUH.

Righty tighty. See the pictures, CAMO

View attachment 788501View attachment 788502

Have solid rotors ? U-R SOoL.
+1 for locking the rotors (carefully). I've used everything from a wrench to a Craftsman screwdriver. Just find something that will bind it and proceed carefully. Some penetrating spray won't hurt, but be sure to clean it off the rotors after and try not to get it on the pads.
You'll get 'em!
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks