• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the flexplate without removing the transmission!

Redneck92

Hi guys,

Wanted to tell about my way to replace the Flexplate without removing the transmission or the T-Case.

Some members say that you just can replace the tranny bolts with longer ones so you can push the transmission back from the engine. Its a fairly good plan but you can´t get any 3/8" thread bolts in germany quick and cheap.

I went and used 3 jackstands instead. One placed under the t-case, one under the tranny pan and one under the engine oil pan.

First of all, I unbolted the exhaust from the headders just to have a bit more space while working.

Second I unbolted driveshafts from the the t-case and the t-case crossmember from the frame.

3. Lowered the whole engine transmission t-case assembly down so you can reach the upper bolts on the bellhousing a bit easier and took them out. Make sure you don´t stretch any wireing or lines or break anything in your engine compartment while lowering.

4. Pushed the whole engine transmission t-case assembly back up in its original position.

5. Removed the converter bolts and the last bolts which connect the tranny to the engine aswell as the electrical connectors and speedo cable on the t-case and transmission..

6. Simply push the car foreward enough so that you can reach the flexplate bolts.

While doing this its better to work with 2 ppl so you can rise and lower all 3 jackstands together consistantly.

When you replaced the flexplate go ahead and put everything back together in reverse order.

Hope I can help some guys and save some time, nerves and money.

Greetings, Redneck92

cucvrus

Heck if you would have given me your address I would have sent you some 3/8" bolts. That is way to much work for me. How much time did you have in that job? We have no problems getting metric bolts in the USA. I am glad you got it done. But man that was the hard way to do it. Git er dun must be your motto. I sort of live by that motto also but that is a long hard struggle that you went thru. How many brews did it take?

Redneck92

Thanks man for your good intentions. Realy apreciate it. But as you said... gettin her done... and this as quicky as possible. It's my daily Driver and so there is no Time waiting for parts. The Job Took me About three and a half hours without realy hurrying up. Next time I am quicker Sice I know where to place what stand and Tools ;-).

Sorry for the Small / big Letter chaos. German smartphone types with German rules ;-)