• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the M101a3 old cover tie down rubber cords

jbmilart

I've just replaced the old 1/4" rubber tie downs for the M101a3 cover. I searched all over the Internet for the correct diameter size rubber cord... couldn't find any. I then settled for the next size up... 3/8" rubber cord, which is what truckers use to tie down their tarps. I found that most companies only sell these in 150' rolls and can cost up to 60 bucks or more... but I found a company out of Oregon... "Autohauler Supply"... selling the 3/8" solid core rubber cord for $36.00 dollars for a 150' roll... way more than I needed... but the price was right.

Once I received the rubber cord, I now had to figure out how to thread the 1/8" larger rubber... through a 1/4" hole on the cover's tie down tabs.IMG_1144.jpg These are the two rubber cords... the original rubber is on top and the new 3/8" rubber is on the bottom. I figured to "melt" the original 1/4" holes on the tabs making them bigger. Since the cover is vinyl over a woven cloth... I decided to use my 12" steel punch to do the job.

IMG_1143.jpgThis is the punch I used... heating the punch with a torch... up about half way up the shaft... not red hot... but... just hot enough to melt the material. Shoving the hot punch through the holes... turning the punch as I went... created a melted coating on the inside of the holes... searing the edges of the fabric, actually sealing the holes just like the original holes looked like.

IMG_1145.jpgIf you look closely at the punch... the wear mark in the middle of the tool, is where I stopped pushing the tool through the tabs, creating a hole slightly bigger than 3/8" in order to get the cords through without much friction. I also noticed that some of the holes... kind of shrank a little when they cooled... but a couple more passes cured that up pretty quickly. I also used a drill to clean up some of the rough edges in the holes making the rubber cords pass a little easier.

Photos of the finished work...

IMG_1134.JPG

Left front of trailer.

IMG_1135.JPG

Left rear.

IMG_1136.JPG

Left tail gate.

IMG_1137.JPGRight tail gate.

IMG_1138.JPGRight rear.

IMG_1139.JPGRight front.

IMG_1140.JPGFront of trailer.

I hope this thread isn't beating a dead horse... just thought this might help someone who wants to try and keep much of the originality in their trailer covers as possible. I was lucky that this trailer cover had very good tie down tabs to work with. Now the next question is... what to do with this extra 100' of 3/8" rubber cord?

Here's the website for the 3/8" solid core rubber cord: http://www.autohaulersupply.com/ Part Number: RR375S