• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the NHC250 with the 6CTA8.3

bigboy44

Has anyone remove the Cummins NHC250 and installed the 6CTA8.3 in its place? I put 2 of my trucks side by side to look at the difference between mounts on the 2 trucks and they are totally different. The transmissions are supposed to be the same in both A1 and A2's with the drive shaft longer on the A2's than the A1's due to the shorter 6CTA8.3. I will do the swap in the spring and was wondering how much trouble it was to do and to get any advise on the swap. Doing the swap is the best teacher! I have read many topics on the 5 ton mods but I don't remember seeing a swap of this kind, if I missed the thread someone please direct me to it. Thanks

grunex125

what model truck are you working with? 900 series or 800. I can help with info on an 800 series truck and a 400 BC series engine. anything newer than that I couldn't say for sure on measurement and etc. Pm me if you like.

Doug

bigboy44

what model truck are you working with? 900 series or 800. I can help with info on an 800 series truck and a 400 BC series engine. anything newer than that I couldn't say for sure on measurement and etc. Pm me if you like.

Doug
I am wanting to swap motors in the 939 series! After doing some research the weight difference in weight of the motors is about 1200 pounds, the 6CTA8.3 is lighter.

grunex125

over all size you will be ok with that engine, it will fit under the hood if that is what you are asking, things to keep in mind are trans input shaft size, bell housing number and engine mount locations. watch your alignment and fit with the trans. you may be swapping out trans too, which also brings into play the size and length of drive line and components. These trucks really were made for the 250's and in the case of repowers the BC versions. I did see a Mack engine installed in an 813 just recently, but it was a poor install done by young mechanics who didn't know what they were doing. That Mack engine could have been a sweet looking install if they had done it right and taken some time on it.

bigboy44

I have a M932A1 and a M923A2, the A2 has a lot of rust and the cab is in bad shape. I also have a concern with the year of the A2 it does not qualify for Antique tags as does the A1. I plan on swapping motor and trans. Since I have the donor truck the brackets and shafts are no problem. I wanted to know if there were any thing to look out for or any short cuts I could take to make the swap. I am not fast any more but I can still get it done. I really wanted some in put from someone that has done the swap. Thanks grunex125

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Unless you are doing it as a pleasure project I think it would be more cost effective to buy an a2 truck in the condition you want and sell the other trucks.

bigboy44

My son bought a A2 for the bed and the metal cover on the bed. I recovered it for him and it drove so good on the way home I decided I needed the motor. We plan on parting the truck anyway so I guess the 250 will be sold instead of the 8.3. Driving it home it seemed to be a lot quieter than the 250 and just seems to run better to me. My son got me involved in these trucks and I thank him for that cause it really keeps me up and moving I enjoy building them and working on them, Just wish I was in better shape. Parts will go up for sale after hunting season is over, my other passion.

bigboy44

CSMdavis in MS has complete pull off cabs for sale. Also a lot of other parts for these trucks. PM him if you need something.
Thanks, Jeff and I are good friends. I hope! He is a super good guy. I like the 932 but I also like the quietness of the 8.3 and I am hoping to gain more MPG's with the switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks