• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing the pilot bearing

mrgerke81

Okay, I removed the propeller shaft, transmission, pressure plate and clutch. Now, my question is how do I remove the pilot bearing? Do I have to remove the flywheel to replace it or can I replace the pilot bearing with flywheel in place on the m35a2. Is there any kind of special tool that I need to remove it.

Thanks for the help,

Mike​

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike,

You can buy/rent a pilot bushing puller. It may or may not work. I just replaced one and ended up cutting it with a hacksaw blade. Think of looking at a pie and just cutting a slice out of it. Just take your time and be careful not to cut into the crankshaft. This is aasuming that it is the usual brass bushing.

You do not need to remove the flywhell, but since you have it all apart you might want to remove the flywheel and replace the rear main seal. Much easier to do it now.

Memphis sells a transmission input shaft for $20. It makes installing the bushing and the clutch a breeze.

I can send some pics if needed

Last edited:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Another way is to pack the pilot bushing hole full of grease then find a bolt that just fits the diameter of the bushing, stick it in and hit it with a hammer and the bushing will pop right out. Cheap and easy, just make sure you put a rag around the bushing in case grease squirts out when you hit it.

FormerNewMVGuy

Another way is to pack the pilot bushing hole full of grease then find a bolt that just fits the diameter of the bushing, stick it in and hit it with a hammer and the bushing will pop right out. Cheap and easy, just make sure you put a rag around the bushing in case grease squirts out when you hit it.
Thats the way i get the pilot bushings out also! Ussually works every time!

steelandcanvas

Very good trick! My Auto Shop Teacher taught us that in High School. Works almost every time!

Jakob

That's an awesome tip on the pilot bearing!

A short hijack, what's the best tool for the rear main? I'll be doing a clutch job on my truck soon and the rear main needs reaplced.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an awesome tip on the pilot bearing!

A short hijack, what's the best tool for the rear main? I'll be doing a clutch job on my truck soon and the rear main needs reaplced.
You mean the seal? Take a look here: http://shortlinks.net/czl090
If you have that retainer it takes a 1/2" socket and .... (std. proceedure)
If not: self-tapping screws, lots of care and patience and better find a helper, too...!

G.

powerhouseduece

What is cleaner than that is used soaked toilet paper. Soak a few hand fulls in water and start packing it in the poilet bearing hole. Keep packing and do it the same way with the grease. no mess just a little bit of water.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is cleaner than that is used soaked toilet paper. Soak a few hand fulls in water and start packing it in the poilet bearing hole. Keep packing and do it the same way with the grease. no mess just a little bit of water.
My method too, only I prefer UN-USED toilet paper...!rofl

Jones

When we did Bjorn's rear main seal I went to the TMs (either the -20s or the -34s) and found very detailed instructions on replacing the seal that made the job a lot easier AND safer. Little tidbits like making a "stud" out of a 6" long 1/2" bolt to thread into one of the flywheel bolt holes that allows you to slide the flywheel out of the bellhousing without ending up wearing it.
There's also a modification tip involving drilling three holes to allow rear main bearing oi to get back into the pan faster without it pooling against the seal. The TM even shows you a template layout of the three holes. Contact Bjorn for more a more detailed job description.

Attachments

Jones

Jakob,
Look in the Tech Library in TMs for TM9-2815-210-34-2-1 (covers eng. disassembly) and -2-2 (covers eng. re-assembly).
In them are sections on clutch service and rear main seal service including special tools and the seal retainer mod.
You're welcome.

Jakob

I didn't have the 2815 tm's, just the first set. The instructions in the -34's are very handy! I got all the relative articles printed out. Thanks for the advice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks