• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

replacing the transfer-case in an A1

austinaubinoe

My 1953 REO + fixing the transfer case...

Hey all! I finally have a Deuce IN MY DRIVEWAY! Got a great deal on it! Its an REO either and 1950, or 53. Multi fuel turbo, 5spd...

Anyways, bought it from a real good guy near annapolis MD that sells alot of military trucks. He told me this has a bad transfer case, but can be driven around. He would not let me drive it an hour home though on the highway.

He was very nice though in throwing in a good T case! It sits in the bed of the truck. seems to have a bent emergency brake drum, but the current one is working good, so I can just swap it.

ANYWAYS how the heck am I gonna get the old T case out and the new one in? The unbolting I can handle, but how do I lower the 400lb+ thing outa there? Do I need to remove the hard top and seats, and use a hoist from the top? Or is there a good jack that would work? I have a HF scissor transmission jack, worked pretty well to drop the t case in trans in my Wrangler.

Thanks,
Austin

Last edited:

rattlecan6104

I just swapped out my T-case a couple months ago, I just used a tranny jack and lots of tiedown straps. You will end up dropping it out of the truck standing on end like it sits in the truck currently. You will want a buddy or two to help stabilize it while it comes down out of the truck. You will probably have to raise up the front end of the truck to gain a little clearance as well as remove the spare tire. This is where I rolled the cases under the frame rail. The task is pretty simple. 3/4 inch wrenches will become your new best friends. The task should take you no longer than a weekend.

keep in mind that crushing loads are not pleasant, so please be very careful. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

austinaubinoe

I just swapped out my T-case a couple months ago, I just used a tranny jack and lots of tiedown straps. You will end up dropping it out of the truck standing on end like it sits in the truck currently. You will want a buddy or two to help stabilize it while it comes down out of the truck. You will probably have to raise up the front end of the truck to gain a little clearance as well as remove the spare tire. This is where I rolled the cases under the frame rail. The task is pretty simple. 3/4 inch wrenches will become your new best friends. The task should take you no longer than a weekend.

keep in mind that crushing loads are not pleasant, so please be very careful. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
What tranny jack did you use? Looking on craiglist for a good one. Dont have a grand for a new one! In the next month or so we are pouring a new slab of concrete in our new shop. My dad said we could pour an exterior one on the side of the shop to park the deuce on. Dont really want to try this on a piece of plywood (gravel driveway). I will definitely have a few friends on hand. Sure is comforting it is a simple task and only took you a weekend. Kinda took a gamble on this M35, cause the most in depth automotive work ive done is the clutch in that TJ.

-Oh and thanks for the tip of removing the spare! How did you jack up the front?

Although I very much dislike buying chinese tools (especially ones I plan to keep a LONG time) this seems like a very nice jack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-low-profile-transmission-jack-4075.html

And check out where the $750 2000lb Granger jack is made!
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WESTWARD-Transmission-Jack-1ZKY3?Pid=search

DREAM jack! Notice it weighs double the china freight one
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/HE...m_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-BTM_BTB05209020&cm_vc=IDPBBZ2

Last edited:

Ride2Kill

Clutch in a TJ vs. this swap = cake walk. There's no splines to line up! You'll have no problem. You can also rent a tranny jack if need be. Like rattlecan said, a couple friends will help alot.

hoop

4x6 from bottom window frame to back of hardtop frame. Hand winch of sorts and chains. Let it lower onto a cheap furniture dolly and roll it out where the spare tire is. You will want to remove the spare tire. That gives you a lot more room.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ANYWAYS how the heck am I gonna get the old T case out and the new one in? The unbolting I can handle, but how do I lower the 400lb+ thing outa there?........................
Pics of a good tranny jack (adapted): http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/25935-transfercase-stand-jack.html
vs the classic chainfall method: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/17892-air-shift-install-parts-t-case-install.html#post183652
or combined: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/74116-found-metal-my-transfer-case-3.html#post937707

G.

rattlecan6104

as far as tranny jacks go, what you are looking at should work just fine, just be sure and double check the height the bottom of your t-case is off of the ground and make sure that the tranny jack you are looking at can reach that height with an inch or two to spare. As far as jacking the front end of the truck, I used a huge @$$ floor jack and some 10 ton jack stands. Harbor freight has the jack stands. Finding an "affordable" floor jack capable of handling the deuce can be a bit of a pain, but if you are careful, you could raise it up with a good bottle jack.

huge floor jack... not necessarily the one, but the same design
10ton long floor jack, China 10ton long floor jack Manufacturers, Long Floor Jack Suppliers - Omega Machinery Co., Ltd. Hangzhou Omega Import & Export Co., Ltd.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an engine hoist, a wrecker, a small chainfall and had the factory tranny hoist. I use the engine crane and chainfall on a plank exclusivly. Trying to balance that upright looking case on a tranny jack doesn't appeal to me. Lowering from inside the cab, does. My free advice to you is for the plank method. You can loop a small length of chain over the 4x4 but I always feed to through a length of pipe so I can move the case fore and aft.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: on what Kenny says. I've done a couple and used this method. It's much safer than trying to balance the pig on a jack. I use a 1 1/2 x 4 steel channel with a 600 lb capacity CM chain hoist.
Take the passenger seat out as well as the dog houses, sling it from a beam across the doors and lower it to a furniture dolly. You can remove the spare and the t-case will come out from under the truck with zero issues.

Remember to use new lock nuts on the drive flanges when you go back together. If you reuse the nuts, they WILL come loose.

nk14zp

:ditto: on what Kenny says. I've done a couple and used this method. It's much safer than trying to balance the pig on a jack. I use a 1 1/2 x 4 steel channel with a 600 lb capacity CM chain hoist.
Take the passenger seat out as well as the dog houses, sling it from a beam across the doors and lower it to a furniture dolly. You can remove the spare and the t-case will come out from under the truck with zero issues.

Remember to use new lock nuts on the drive flanges when you go back together. If you reuse the nuts, they WILL come loose.
:ditto::ditto:

austinaubinoe

Ok check on the lock nuts on drive flanges being replaced.

I started the deuce up today for the first time! However it wont move. Any ideas? Tried it in reverse and 1st. put the emergency brake on and off (but that wouldnt stop it from moving would it?) The PO said the Ebrake was a little sticky from sitting. Tried the T case in Low and High. Any trick for engaging it? No grinding noises or anything, just sounds normal with zero movement!

The PO said the T case was not completely blown, and that he drove it on the trailer yesterday.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd use a cherry picker through the drivers door. Increadibly easy. Makes it a 1 person job!

austinaubinoe

I agree E-Brake is stuck. Smack it with a hammer.
That would stop a truck from moving even 1cm when revving it up in gear! Wow.

Just hit the drum on the T case, correct?

EDIT: WOW that was a bit scary. Smacked it with a dead blow and it just started rolling. Needless to say I shot out of under the truck. It was off and in gear? Transfer case feels like it has stripped gears. I held the t case lever up and let off the clutch and got it to engage, but as soon as I let off the throttle it pops out of gear. Maybe the lever just needs to be adjusted? The E brake lever is like a wet noodle, gotta tighten that up.

Last edited:

austinaubinoe

If anyone has any info on transfer cases not engaging that would be helpfull. Talked to the PO today and he told me he did have to hold the t case lever up with force to get it to drive. If I just pull it up it does nothing, I gotta yank it and gas it. It grinds, then it will just catch!

:?

austinaubinoe

THANK YOU! Still learning how to navigate the site, Ill read up on all of those links!

Here are some pictures of my deuce. Not really sure what year it is. It is titled as a 1953 REO, and the PO bought it from the government. Motor is dated january 1987, but maybe thats the rebuild date? The PO told me many gasser A1's were converted to A2 drivetrains. And he said you can tell because it has smaller gauges, and taller gear ratios. He mentioned it has a higher top speed.

===OK how do I add pictures? Most forums have a button to insert them above the text box. thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks