• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing transmission modulator and vacuum lines

firecontrol86

So I went to drive the M1009 today and it wouldn't shift from 1st no matter what I did. So after some research on here I replaced the vacuum lines from the transmission vacuum valve assy. I also replaced the modulator on the transmission as mine looked like it had been dipped in extra chunky peanut butter and then rubbed in Georgia clay! Thanks to all you guys on here for making so many useful threads! I also attached a couple pics for your viewing pleasure. I was going to do a whole "write up style" post, but I don't know how to embed images yet.

Attachments

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem with my M1009 except it shifted to the next higher gear at almost redline. It was cured in the same manner.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you post part numbers, brand names, and prices? Pictures are nice but not much help to others with the same issues.

jimmy-90

I've thought about replaceing mine before. Im guessing that modulator is an adjustable one??? My trans shifts really really early. It is in 3rd gear by the time im doing like 15mph or so. I've been just putting it in drive2 and manually shifting into 3rd at the rpm that I want it to shift at. How hard was it to get that thing to shift the trans correctly?

firecontrol86

Could you post part numbers, brand names, and prices? Pictures are nice but not much help to others with the same issues.
Oh yeah, I guess that would help too. The modulator I picked up was from Advance auto, part # md48. On the website the brand is Pro-King, but when I picked it up it's a generic box that has a giant printed "Modulator Valve" on it and that's about it. Forgot to mention I only paid $11.99 for it, nice cheap easy fix. I used that same post already mentioned to adjust the vacuum once I replaced the valve as it was really revving before shifting and now it shifts right about where I want it, still need to tweak it a little bit. The vacuum lines are mostly 3/16 ID except for one couple inch section behind the air cleaner that has an adapter that connects the the 3/16" to a 1/4". I just reused all the old plastic connectors since they were in descent shape.

Last edited: