• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing/Upgrading troop seats in the Deuce

Hoxman

Hey there,

I need to replace the troop seats in my M35A3. I was going to replace them with PVC boards (from Lowes) but they say that the PVC is not for load bearing...

I was hoping to find some aluminum 1x3(3.5)x12 boards but I haven't been able to locate any...

Besides standard or pressure treated boards... Any options??? And if so, where do I get them?

Thanks!

jasonjc

Fiber glass, that is what the military went to. They are made by a place called stephen wood products, I think and they will sell to you. Or try to find a set for sale near you. I have been thinking about getting some of the 5/4" deck boards and ripping them in half. They seem to be better wood than the 1 X 3's. If you do make your own with wood post up pic and what you used.

jtron79

It would be really easy to make your own from fiberglass, I have been kicking around doing this on my 105. fiberglass is really easy stuff to work with.

ODdave

I definatly would not use deck boards.....Pine is not strong enough. I used oak for my first set and am going to go with maple or ash on the next.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the back up Warthog with my slooooow dia-up its hard to search for stuff. I have to relay on whats left of my mind.
Not a problem. Thats what we are here for. Besides I'm trying to catch up with your post count....:p

jasonjc

I definatly would not use deck boards.....Pine is not strong enough. I used oak for my first set and am going to go with maple or ash on the next.
Thats why I was thinking the deck boards as they are a 1/2" thicker than a 1 X 3. But as I said I was just thinking. Have not made a choice yet. Need to find a saw mill that has oak close by.

Not a problem. Thats what we are here for. Besides I'm trying to catch up with your post count....:p
And you are getting close fast.:eek:

ODdave

What was wrong with the oak? Isn't that what was used originally?

Nothing at all wrong with it, Just pricey. My top 2 boards on each side and boards for the front rack where $140. Just for the bords, I had to cut, sand & coat them. ( actualy my dad did but you get the point)

Bill W

I just got a set of fiberglass seats and headboard for my deuce for $75 and they look like brand new. ( I stumbled into that deal )
When I redid the wood on my M-37 I used Ipe wood, stuff is as strong as oak but cheaper

Attachments

Bill W

Its a South American hardwood that seems to be impervious to just about everything except fire :roll:. Its also a very beutiful wood, heck after I put it all together on my 37 I could not bring myself to paint it

indy4x4fab

Banned
Its a South American hardwood that seems to be impervious to just about everything except fire :roll:. Its also a very beutiful wood, heck after I put it all together on my 37 I could not bring myself to paint it
This probably the way will go when I get my deuce bed for my 818. My four year old daughter says to me, "Daddy this seat makes my butt itch." I will have to say that I was kinda feeling the same thing. Is that just because the seats needed a repaint or was it because that's just fiber glass troop seats?

CanonNinja

To add to this... I have some fiberglass seats on my A3 that are servicable, but one side as rotten wood on the top 2 rails (non load-bearing). I was going to replace these with some PVC pieces. I cant see anything negative with doing that, unless there's something im missing?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks