• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replacing Valve Stems - Will these fit?

Jas0n

Recently purchased a '68 bobbed deuce. Fun as heck to drive, but there is one flaw that has been bugging the crap out of me...

As you can see from the attached picture, reaching the valve stems is impossible from the outside. Every time I want to check / change the air pressure I have to crawl up under the truck.

I'm not 100% sure since I'm a new owner and still learning everything, but I *think* the rims are modified HEMTT rims? Can someone confirm or tell me what they are? They are two piece rims with bead locks. Is there anything special I should know about breaking these apart / putting them back together? Is it easy enough for an individual to do it with an impact gun or should I take them to a tire place?

I would like to get some replacement stems that will stick out straight through the hole (either flush with the outside of the rim or maybe extend 1" max).

After doing tons of searching I've found a few different military valve stems. I *think* the correct ones that I'm wanting are VS-1072 ??? Does anyone know where a good place to buy them from that won't charge an arm and a leg? Or is the hole standard where I can go to a place that services big rigs and they would have something?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just let the air out of your tires and bend the valve-stem to work with your rim opening. Thats what I did anyway. Slide a box end wrench over the stem and tweak as needed. I did mine before I put the rims together, so you might have to break the combo down.

Jas0n

If I'm going to have to break them apart, I might as well replace them. With my luck I try to bend it and it will either kink or snap completely...

Nobody else has a definitive answer? I've seen these style rims on a lot of deuces, but there's no close-up of the tires... *sigh*

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Those appear to be the ones that allow you to flip the rims on a hemtt either way. I tweaked my lines as well. However on top of using the box end wrench, I also used the propane torch as well to help prevent snapping. Worked fine for me!

searls84

Yes those are HEMTT rims with an adapter plate bolted to to outside from what i can see from your pics.To replace the valve stem you will have to split the rim. Out of personal experience, I found it definitely worth the 25$ to have a tire shop split the rims, especially of you have bead locks or run flats. One type of valve stem to take a look at are the ones that come on FMTV rims. Memphis should carry them.... Just my 2 cents...

MilSpec78

Jas0n,

If you want to go the civy route rather than surplus, break the wheel apart and remove the valve stem. Determine the rim hole size (probably 13/16"). Then measure the distance of the rim hole to the outside of the rim. Finally, measure the vertical offset of the stem.

Once you have the measurements, you can find a civy replacement through an internet search or by working with a decent tire place. You should then have no problem replacing it in the future.

By the way, I believe you are right about the model number but I can't be sure. Surplus companies like Memphis and Eriks Military Surplus (I saw this model on their website) should be able to confirm it works for your rim.

You can also contact Dill Air Controls to find a local distributor of their products. You will see from their pdf below they also offer military valve stems.

http://dillaircontrols.com/files/Large Bore Swivel Valves.pdf

Good luck.

MilSpec78

Also, quick note.

I broke down my two piece MRAP style rim and put it together just using a standard crow bar, breaker bar, 1/2" impact wrench and torque wrench. It was pretty easy. Certainly, it was easier than loading the wheel in the back of the truck and taking it to a tire place to break down.

Of course, if it was mounted to my truck already, I would have driven it to a tire place to dismount and breakdown in a heartbeat for $25. As they say....that's my two cents.

Jas0n

Thank you for the replies everyone!

The weather has finally cooled down some so I was working on my deuce today doing other stuff. Really just about any job you need two people otherwise it takes twice as long!

I'm going to give a local truck-tire shop a call / visit tomorrow, they are just a couple miles away from me. If the price is reasonable I'll bring it down there and see what they can do or have before I order some new stems. Like I said, with my luck I would break the valve stem then I would really be up a creek and it would be a lot more of a pain trying to get it on the back of my truck and such...

It also gives me an excuse to stop by the truck-stop across the street from it where they have some weigh scales, so I can see exactly how much my bobber weighs... ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks