• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reporting for duty

jonesec1

Hi all I just wanted to share a quick story that Im sure you all would appreciate. When deployed to the sand box during the summer of 07, I needed a Vehicle to transpo my Marines dack and forth to the chow hall ect. Any way I had heard that some one had spotted a red van which was in running condition at the drmo lot. So the next morning I rounded up my Motor T mech and loaded up the john deer gator with 4 new batteries 5 Gl's of Diesel, 5 G's of 15/w40 and a some tools and set off to the drmo lot expecting to rig this van and get her back our area. Upon arriving at the lot I enquired about the Van, amd to my dismay it had dematerialized. Suspecting we had been the victim of a black op or an inside job I asked if there was another suitable vehicle that we could fix up. The drmo rep stated that there was a 5 ton that had driven in the day prior. We recieved the cardinal direction of this vehicle and jumped in the gator and went to find the fabled 5 ton. When we got to the spot there she sat was it a 5 Ton .... no it was a 1985 M35A1. I gave it the most basic inspection jumped in found the master switch switched it pushed the starter and gave he some cow bell and it roared into life and drove out the gate to sign the forms. Once back at our area we gave her a full inspection and were impressed to find out that she had a pto winch good canvas awith all the bows and all of the SL 3 Gear and logbook were present and that it had been well maintained. Over the course of the remainder of the deployment we installed a new clutch as it was slipping in 5th gear. Also we replaced the belts changed the oil, fitted a new fuel pump (it uses a AAVP7A1) fuel pump which we have plenty of) and converted her to single rear wheels. Every where we drove this vehicle Marines and Soldiers would cheer and yell for the driver to rev the rpms up so that they could hear that wonderful Turbo sound. It was a tremendeous asset for us to have at our disposal as we used it for all manner of tasks that normally would have required us to have to request a vehicle from higher that sometimes was unavailable. Now that I have returned home I would love to get my hands on my own Deuce, perhaps a 109 that could be converted into a Off road camper. Well anyway I have been bitten by the OD green bug and am grateful to all of you out there who have contributed your experiences to this website so that people like myself can learn. Thanks Evan

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope that old soldier finds it's way home, and onto a DRMO lot!

Welcome to the site! You'll find your collection growing in no time!

jonesec1

OIF VET, sorry it took me a while, but if you are still wondering where these photos were taken. Well we had our AAV unit in Alasad in the Alanbar province. My company was conducting COIN ops in Dulab and Albu Hyatt. I split my time between running Log and Maintenance in Alasad and serving as a watch Officer outside the wire with the company. Here are some random shots if anyone is intrested.

Attachments