• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repower Radiator Options

MatthewH

Hey guys, I'm currently working on repowering my M37 with a 6.2l out of a HMMWV. Looking to see what others have run as far as new radiators? My stock one is pretty rotted out, and I doubt it would cut it anyways keeping this thing cool. I have measured the old one, and the closest I've been able to find is a universal Alum, 22in wide x 19in tall, 3in thick, 2 core rad. Any suggestions would be great.

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have the radiator re cored with a thicker core and retain the upper and lower tanks. I have done this on two repowered trucks.

Frank

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt, this should not be a problem at all: people who put a 350sbc (or its stroker version) in a FJ40 or CJ7 know that...
Try to find a HD aftermarket 4-row, copper-cored radiator (like this one) or contact this company and stay cool...! (I say copper because it is easy to repair....)

FYR, I have two 6.2-repowered M886's. In both cases the original radiator was re-cored (locally) with a high-density 3 row copper core (2.75" thickness) and the core surface is now 25" x 20" (since the body was lifted almost two inches). I have also added a separate oil cooler which may contribute a bit, too.
We work these trucks pretty hard and almost daily, doing 55-60mph most of the time and often pulling heavy trailers.
Yes, everything gets pretty hot during our summer months, but so far I have never had any issues with overheating the engines. Maybe the drivers, yes.... :)

G.

MatthewH

G

Thanks for the links. I looked into having mine re-cored, but for the price quoted, i can get a nice aftermarket one. I have a rad book i borrowed from my parts store, i can get exact dimensions of tha FJ40 rad and see how it fits in place.

MatthewH

So finally got this done. After a lengthy discussion with the local radiator guy, ended up having my original radiator re-cored, as well as having the upper inlet flipped and moved to driver side, and lower one made larger to accommodate the water pump input size.
Once I get my engine regasketed, modified oil pan put on, should be able to mount and get my hoses made up

JimC2

I put a big block Chevy in my 37 about 45 years ago. Live in the South and have used the stock radiator since then without heating problems.