• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

repowering the 880 Dodge

camo carl

after the first gulf war i saw a couple drmo m880s with 360s, 1 was a prisoner transport m886 with meshed windows, stripped interior & very cool aluminum bench lockers instead of liter racks, also seen several 2wd m880s with 360s, replacement crated 360s in containers were surplused as well

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any engine made by Caterpillar that would be appropriate for an engine swap, my mind is thinking the 3116 out of a M35A3 but that is too large, too heavy for a 1/2 pickup. Does CAT make anything smaller that might work?

jaxsof

Mike, I took the 318 out of my mothers Ramcharger, and inserted a 4bta. Runs every bit as good as the 318 EVER did, and get 32mpg. The Cat I had considdered for the swap before deciding on the 4b was a 3054. Adelman's usually has new ones for a decent price, but for the cost of adapting it... The Cummins is an easy swap. Get the flywheel housing from a 6b Ram, and a pre-2000 trans from a diesel 2500 (no computer). And if you get the 4wd version, TC mount is a Texas patern, and the origional should bolt to it. The man I got the trans from did a f250 that smoked the tires the full length of his shop(40+ feet) and got 30mpg. The little engine can be turned up a good bit. If you look on the Yahoo 4b group there are a few guys who have turned theirs up to over 500hp. The seem to be reliable at that level, too.

Last edited:

Boatnik

That thing would be slower than a loaded Duece going up hill with 10 flat tires and a headwind.
But you would be able to drag close to the same load.
!992 dodge W250 with slightly modified Cummins 5.9 (6BTA) running in four wheel high and allowing the boost to build up to ten pounds on the brake: 14seconds plus a few tenths in the quarter at about 80 mph. What duece can do that? That was with 3.54 gears and stock tires driven by an A518.