• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

republic of korea army m35a2

Truckdriver47

Kia Military Vehicles

There have been several series of these trucks made by Korea. The first was the K511 (m35a2 copy) and the k711 (m813 copy) produced in the late 80's early 90's through early 2000's. They are almost the exact same trucks respectively, the only difference I can find in them is Kia uses German built MAN diesel engines, which is a step up in reliability, power, and speed. The second series is the km250 (m35) and km500 (m813). These have the different grill and headlight style, as well as the modified and improved interior. Both still have MAN engines.

I'm currently in Korea now, will be for the next 4 months or so, and I plan to visit their factory over here, and see what the cost is to sell them to the civilian market in the U.S., as well as I am trying to contact their Dept. of Defense, to see what the availability is for the used versions of all their trucks coming out of service.

My question is: what would you guys like to see more of? The copy of the M715, M35, or M800 series?

yolner

I don't think you'll have much luck importing whole trucks into the US, but shipping in used parts might be a possibility. Might be nice to swap one of those german diesels into a US M35.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is: what would you guys like to see more of? The copy of the M715, M35, or M800 series?
Yes.

I look forward to hearing the outcome. Even if you're not successful, the stories of navigating ROK corporate and defense bureaucracy will be interesting. Good luck and I hope you have some Korean copies of US HMVs for sale soon.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been several series of these trucks made by Korea. The first was the K511 (m35a2 copy) and the k711 (m813 copy) produced in the late 80's early 90's through early 2000's. They are almost the exact same trucks respectively, the only difference I can find in them is Kia uses German built MAN diesel engines, which is a step up in reliability, power, and speed. The second series is the km250 (m35) and km500 (m813). These have the different grill and headlight style, as well as the modified and improved interior. Both still have MAN engines.

I'm currently in Korea now, will be for the next 4 months or so, and I plan to visit their factory over here, and see what the cost is to sell them to the civilian market in the U.S., as well as I am trying to contact their Dept. of Defense, to see what the availability is for the used versions of all their trucks coming out of service.

Good luck getting the E.P.A. to approve their import.

Truckdriver47

I forgot the exact model for the engines in the trucks, but I believe they conform to international vehicle emissions regulations, as it is the same commercial engine used in MAN medium-heavy duty equipment. I speak Korean as a second language, so I am hoping this will give me some sort of an advantage as to navigating their system. I will also ask the factory if a "de-militiarized" version is available, so that it conforms to all regulations as just a regular civilian cargo truck. They also make a version of the HMV, I am not sure what it's numerical name is. Picture included. Problem is with them though, they are all armored. I also will include some pictures of the models that look like they could be possibly shipped under the regulations of a regular civilian cargo truck. Worst comes to worse, nearly every part on those trucks is interchangeable with the M35 / 800 series trucks, everything from axles up to sheet metal and lights.
k151_img.jpgk71-special-3.jpgk51-special-5.jpg

tobyS

How about it truckdriver ....can we buy the whole trucks?

I just noticed the lights on the M35 model....That's exactly what I'm doing to my A3 to get the turn signal down from where the engine cowl hits it. They took our truck and made it better while we made the LMTV/MTV at 4x the price. Is there any doubt why the US is bankrupt?

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked at a local Kia dealership back in 2008 while in school, wish I would have know about this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks