• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repurpose old brush guard

Predator42

This weekend I took my old stock brush guard and turned it into something more stout. I cut what I didn't want off the old one and had some pipe bent. Then I notched out the old one and set the new pipe in. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Predator42

Is that just sitting on top of the airlift hoops?
Action, Yes it rests on the airlift hoops.I put a non skid rubber pad between the two metals. no rattles and I didn't see a need to bolt it or pin it to the hoops. I guess for added strength in an actual accident I could drill holes and pin the two pieces together. I put it on there primarily so I would have a place to stand if I needed to get on the hood to service the lights etc. I could also add some more steel plate and tie it to the hoops by boxing them in. Always a bit of R&D at my place.

Last edited:

Action

Havok, Yes that is a rubber coupler that connects the two together. (ACE hardware) I don't have the full fording kit, I'm taking it little by little.
If you plan on installing the proper fording kit, you should buy the kit. There are way too many parts in that kit. It isn't just a snorkle and an exhaust. If you do not install the entire kit, then don't drive deeper than 30" water.

Predator42

If you plan on installing the proper fording kit, you should buy the kit. There are way too many parts in that kit. It isn't just a snorkle and an exhaust. If you do not install the entire kit, then don't drive deeper than 30" water.[/QUOTE

Action, buddy, It amazes me how my post about my brush guard turned into a lesson on water fording, but my intention (if a justification is even needed) was simply to test the snorkel portion to see if I liked the look, and if I could safely see past it to drive before any type of kit was needed. I don't really know many people that buy their Hmmwv and then "plan" to dunk it in 60" of water.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I like the skill used in bending the pipes for the improved brush guard. I was wonder why you didn't just make the whole thing out of the same pipe? Then just duplicate the "hinge" portion.

Predator42

I like the skill used in bending the pipes for the improved brush guard. I was wonder why you didn't just make the whole thing out of the same pipe? Then just duplicate the "hinge" portion.
goldneagle I kept the portion of the brush guard that I liked. I could have done the entire thing in the same pipe but I liked how it attached and functioned so I kept that part. I wanted to repurpose the original Brush Guard vs completely replace it.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Havok, Yes that is a rubber coupler that connects the two together. (ACE hardware) I don't have the full fording kit, I'm taking it little by little.
Thanks for the idea! I actually have an air (& exhaust) snorkel I got as put of an all or nothing deal for other parts I needed and never installed it for the same fear you have that I wont be able to my mirrors or like it. I most likely will never drive in more than three feet of water ever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks