• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Repurposing Mep002A/ Mep003A Engines

cnicholls

I ended up buying a lot of 4 MEP Onan Engines a few years back.
I have one 002a and three 003a engines.

All appear new with green paint and all the openings plugged. I originally bought them because I needed to power a hydraulic pump for a small excavator I was repowering.
I am currently building a bandmill for reclaiming 50 or so standing dead ash trees that the ash borer left me on my property in Ohio. Most small sawmills need 7/20 hp so this would be a good fit.

However I have come up short on finding a way to couple the engine to a stub shaft. I have googled for a few days and have come up short.
This is what I have gathered (that was important to me) from measuring the engines. this site and others

Engine Specs
  • Weight: 690lbs

• 3.50" bore
  • Counter clockwise rotation
  • Engine overall dims: 34 L x 22 wide x 28Hi

Bellhousing

• SAE #4 bellhousing
  • Bell housing Od: 15 7/8in
  • Bell housing ID: 14 1/4 12 studs 3/8 studs
  • Bolt circle: 15in

Flywheel (probably not a SAE standard)

• 12 3/8" OD
  • 8 bolts - 10 1/8in bolt circle - 4 sets of dual bolt holes

If anyone has any input on how to adapt the engines to a straight shaft/or pulley/sprocket I would be very greatfull.

Also, advice like "sell the engines and buy something else", I have read enough of those opinions on these forums thanks, I have already read your point of view.
I am a skilled fabricator feel confident that I can overcome the challenge.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would put a piece of 3/8 plate on the circle burner and make an interface plate to mount to the flywheel. Then weld a stub shaft to the center for your PTO.

cnicholls

NDT: I fear that will be my only option as well. Laying it out by hand is tricky to get the stub exactly centered. I have been working on building a cnc plasma cutter, this project may have to wait until I can get the cnc done.

Grimpyrobb: I believe I found that project on youtube. I contacted him a few years ago, he was lucky enough to have a junk Gen Head that he cut down.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What about a 2nd flywheel? If you were to find one could it be machined to have a pulley welded/bolted on?