• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

reputable CUCV Dealers

TRG

Hi gang,

I'm in the market for a M1028 CUCV. I'd like the 1028 over the 1008 because I'll be using a slide in overhead camper on occasion and like the idea of a little extra payload capacity.

I have been watching several of the auctions on GL and quite frankly I'm a little turned off by the whole process. I'd rather spend a little more for something more of a turnkey solution. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to working on my trucks but some of the horror stories, i.e. broken transmissions, broken transfer cases, bent driveshafts etc have soured me on the whole process.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend a reputable dealer that has absorbed some of this pain. I have cash in hand but have been unable to find anyone that I am comfortable working with so far. In fact there is one dealer here, whose name I wont mention, that has completely blown me off and not returned any of my e-mails or phone calls. I cant work with someone like that.

Please share your experiences, good or bad. I've never been in a situation before where I had cold hard cash in hand and nobody wanted to sell me what I wanted. :? Before someone says I need to be patient, I have been looking for almost a year so far. I'm very patient but I need to get something soon.

Thanks,

Tom

2deuce

It depends what you want to spend. I personally would rather buy one from a private party than a dealer or even from gl. The work you do on it makes it your truck, plus saves you alot of money. If you were up in OR, I'd sell you one. Watch craigslist, I have bought them there.

Westech

CPL
how much pay load do you need? have you ever seen the spring pack on a M1008? Able to handle a little slide in camper for sure! Just giving you a thought... might want to look for a M1008 too.. a little cheaper and more readily available

chupa

I was in the same situation as you. A gentleman in Ohio restored an M1028 (factory-fresh!). It was on the high side of CUCV prices but well worth it. I had it delivered to my driveway a month ago. Its my daily driver. He's in the process of restoring two more.

TRG

I was in the same situation as you. A gentleman in Ohio restored an M1028 (factory-fresh!). It was on the high side of CUCV prices but well worth it. I had it delivered to my driveway a month ago. Its my daily driver. He's in the process of restoring two more.
Do you have a name or a website for this guy? Thanks.

TRG

how much pay load do you need? have you ever seen the spring pack on a M1008? Able to handle a little slide in camper for sure! Just giving you a thought... might want to look for a M1008 too.. a little cheaper and more readily available
Camper is 2600 Lbs dry weight. + 30 gallons of fresh water, camping gear, food, beer and a 19' boat.

Payload Ratings
M1008- 2900lbs - I would be very close or a little over weight.
M1028- 3600lbs - Nice safety margin.

tamecrow

Camper is 2600 Lbs dry weight. + 30 gallons of fresh water, camping gear, food, beer and a 19' boat.

Payload Ratings
M1008- 2900lbs - I would be very close or a little over weight.
M1028- 3600lbs - Nice safety margin.
That 2900 lb rating is rather conservative. I haul 2 ton of coal regularly with mine. That's 4480 lbs. per load. The M1008 handles this weight no problem.

pmramsey

This is my opinion and will not jiv with most here.

You are ultimately responsible for the repair and upkeep of these 25-year old trucks. Yeah, you can buy one in reasonable condition and it will work for a while but the little things can and will eat your lunch. Buy a good crapper; do it yourself and learn all you can know about them. There may be speciality items like transmission and engine rebuilds you may wish to farm out. However, as you enjoy your M1028 into your years to come, the little things will be hardly noticed. I have three of them in fantasic shape yet there are days I curse the sky. But, I hit NAPA in the speed dial and life is once again grand. I turned down $8000 from some idiot just last year. It you are not willing to invest the time, look elsewhere. You wll not be happy in your camper in one in the long term.

pistonium

I don't know that the extra payload for the 1028 (over the 1008) is due to any difference in springs or shocks or brakes or anything much the bunch of us would care about. I think that the rating increase comes from the NP205 transfer case in the 1028/1031; that's the only difference that I can think of that would impact the engineers raising the GVW for the 1028. (the only other difference is the locker in the front, which probably wouldn't make a difference).

If there is a spring difference, that would be easy to change to 'create' a 1028 from a 1008.

I'd like to learn if anyone knows of the engineering cause of the difference in ratings.....

TRG

This is my opinion and will not jiv with most here.

You are ultimately responsible for the repair and upkeep of these 25-year old trucks. Yeah, you can buy one in reasonable condition and it will work for a while but the little things can and will eat your lunch. Buy a good crapper; do it yourself and learn all you can know about them. There may be speciality items like transmission and engine rebuilds you may wish to farm out. However, as you enjoy your M1028 into your years to come, the little things will be hardly noticed. I have three of them in fantasic shape yet there are days I curse the sky. But, I hit NAPA in the speed dial and life is once again grand. I turned down $8000 from some idiot just last year. It you are not willing to invest the time, look elsewhere. You wll not be happy in your camper in one in the long term.
I've wrenched on vehicles for the last 38 years so thats not a problem. My issue is with the initial purchase. Most of the GL offerings are at bases in other states. I'm not comfortable bidding on or buying one sight unseen.

TRG

I don't know that the extra payload for the 1028 (over the 1008) is due to any difference in springs or shocks or brakes or anything much the bunch of us would care about. I think that the rating increase comes from the NP205 transfer case in the 1028/1031; that's the only difference that I can think of that would impact the engineers raising the GVW for the 1028. (the only other difference is the locker in the front, which probably wouldn't make a difference).

If there is a spring difference, that would be easy to change to 'create' a 1028 from a 1008.

I'd like to learn if anyone knows of the engineering cause of the difference in ratings.....
Its my understanding that there is an extra leaf spring in the rear to accommodate the extra weight of the shelter that it was designed for.

CPAPPY

Hey Chupa , ssmoorman here , just want to say than k's for the compliment on the truck I sold you. ALSO user name changed to cpappy. Just started on my other two getting all parts together. I am in the process of rebuilding a 6.2 L turbo to put in my truck. Just put a set of 11.00r16 tire on , lift kit & crossover steering w/ hydo-assist waiting on parts . Sure miss the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks