• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Request for GP replacement assistance - Police Involved

Keith_J

Does it change the performance during cold weather or prevent mushrooming of the plugs, or any other benefits?
Yes on all counts. The ONLY issue with running 12 volts directly is battery/charge balance. You must run the 12 volts from the first battery.

tbearatkin

I had planned to run the 12 volts from the firewall connection, not from the first battery.

ITs the same thing. Either spot is taken off the first battery. 24 VOLTS is only used (Back battery) for the starter and the 24volt radio rack on the right side of vehicle next to the back bench seat. Lights, horn, heater, wipers etc are all 12 volt and are ran off the front battery. And also for jump starting other 24volt vehicles with the NATO cable.

M1008driver

Does it change the performance during cold weather or prevent mushrooming of the plugs, or any other benefits?
My M1008 starts easier after I did the resistor bypass. When I let it sit for several days in the cold, it starts right up. It is easy to do and saves all your plugs from burning up to fast. I do use Diesel Treat as an fuel additive which seems to help too.

I was hesitant at first as you can see in the link I posted. Now I am glad I did the mod with the help of doghead and others, even if I sounded uneducated in CUCV lingo.

Last edited:

vkirchner

Thanks for the explanation on the wiring, it is all starting to make sense now. All my paperwork is printed out, tools laid out, and I prayed to the green God's last night so I would not have trouble with removal of the GP's. Another cup of coffee to open my eyes and let the sun shine a little brighter and I will start the project. Mailbox is available as a backup.

I have been a little hesitant also, just fear of the unknown. But it looks straight forward.

vkirchner

New glow plugs installed, connectors, and 12V supplied from supply block on firewall, resister connection has been taped. It did not start afterwards, I am really bummed out. :-(

Suggestions on the next step, I hate to break down and have it towed to a shop.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the glow plugs get 12v to them with your pushbutton pushed?

Have you checked your fuel filter bleeder for fuel?

How long since it ran last? Did it have any problems before it was parked/abandoned?

Does the pink wire on the IP have 12v?(key on)

vkirchner

Sorry guys, should have stated more. I depress the manual glow plug switch for 4-5 seconds, then turn key to the start position with the accelerator to the floor. The vehicle cranks easily but it does not run. This procedure was repeated 5-6 times without the vehicle starting. The fuel level is full with, which is the last time I ran the vehicle, about a month ago. The vehicle was parked and I started a lot of travel for my place of employment. White smoke is emitted from the exhaust after cranking the engine over.

I do not have a VOM, it has been ordered but has not arrived yet. I can take a glow plug out and try using the manual GP switch to see if the glow plug heats up.

I do not know how to check the fuel filter breather for fuel, I have driven the vehicle 700+ miles total since it's purchase.

No known issues that would prevent it from running before I topped of the fuel and parked it. All known issues were body mechanical such as door hinge pins, vent window leaks, etc.

Where do I find the pink wire, I will talk to the neighbors to see if they have a VOM that I can borrow?

The

sierra117

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced sounds like it was getting fuel maybe it's not getting enough to start. I have known some truck drivers that have run fuel in thier trucks that would clog filters pretty quick that's just my two cents.

vkirchner

I have not replaced the fuel filter or even changed the oil yet. I have only had the vehicle for a short time, I purchased it in Chicago and drove it home. My plans were to have a lot more completed on the Blazer by now, but my children have needed more help with rent and school loans than I anticipated. So I have not been able to start many projects as planned.

tbearatkin

First make sure your batteries are fully charged. Living in Ohio this time of year I would think 10-15 seconds for GP operation instead of the 3-4 seconds you are currently using. MY GP light stays lit for at least this long in cold weather. Seems a lot longer as I am sitting there on a cold seat. No pumping of the fuel pedal just depress to the floor and hold it in cold weather. Warm weather depress half way down. Just like it says on the drivers side visor.

vkirchner

Just got home from church, quick meal and then out to the garage to charge up the batteries, one by one after disconnecting them. I have borrowed a VOM to take a look at voltages for the injector pump and the glow plug relay.

Anubis8472

You mentioned that you cycle the plugs with the ignition off.
Not to familiar with them in that respect, but I always cycle them with ignition on.
I turn ignition on (heater fan/radio etc. off) then I watch the volt meter to see the draw when I cycle them. Once in a while they will fail to cycle (start to draw then quit) I wait a couple seconds and push the button again and they draw as normal.
Try pushing your button for six seconds, then release for 5, then repeat. Don't be afraid to repeat two or three times before you try to start, just give the plugs some 'cool down' between cycles, you don't want to just hold them on for a long period.

Are you getting any ignition at all? Any pops or huffs?

I find having the ignition on and depressing the pedal ready to crank as soon as I release the button makes for a much smoother start up.

It seems like a 'need to clear out the cobwebs' sort of issue. You might want to check compression when you get the chance, low compression will exagerate any cold start issues.

vkirchner

Didn't get much accomplished, rained heavy all day. I tried it with the ignition on and off without success, but I did not get a sputter out of it. I have the VOM now, but again I have to start traveling for my job so it does not look like I will get much accomplished until the weekend. Even if I have it towed to a shop, they are all busy so it does not appear I will get it completed much sooner than this weekend anyway but I have a few more calls to make but only to shops that I can trust. I do want to check the voltages at the GP relay and the IP, that will make me sleep a little better at night.