• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Request for legal information / Military Vehicle laws - need input on your state

Reworked LMTV

I need to get clarity on each individual state. What I need to know is, which States currently prohibit the registration of military vehicles.

Are there States that also prohibit any surplus military vehicles from being driven on the road, regardless of State it is driven in and reciprocity agreements? I'm also seeking info. related to reciprocity among states, in general. I'm finding info. on reciprocity for tickets, warrants, and the like, but not finding much about unimpeded flow of interstate travel with vehicles registered in another state.

I'm no lawyer, but at a very basic level I question the legality of forcing an individual (not commercial) visiting WY, with say TN plates, meeting WY state LICENSURE (not registration) laws for GVWR, etc.

States have varying laws for REGISTRATION and LICENSURE, and I understand that, but can they really dictate an out of state driver meeting their State's issued driver license for GVWR requirements? Is that not part of the reciprocity? this link would indicate that they can: https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv-special-drivers-license-requirements/

They certainly can dictate for those drivers who WERE ISSUED a DL in their state, but your drivers license is based in a different state with different standards. There is a complete lack of uniformity from state to state. One state requires a non-commercial equivalent to a cdl for a particular GVWR. Another does not require a cdl, unless it is used in commerce. I guess the legal question is" What is this reciprocity law and what is it applicable to?"

Sidebar question: How does the Brazos FMTV differ from a military surplus vehicles that makes them compliant with supposed EPA and safety Federal Law? I know they have a Cummins 5.9 which is likely EPA compliant, but not much else about their inherent differences from the S&S and BAE versions.

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to get clarity on each individual state. What I need to know is, which States currently prohibit the registration of military vehicles.

Are there States that also prohibit any surplus military vehicles from being driven on the road, regardless of State it is driven in and reciprocity agreements? I'm also seeking info. related to reciprocity among states, in general. I'm finding info. on reciprocity for tickets, warrants, and the like, but not finding much about unimpeded flow of interstate travel with vehicles registered in another state.

I'm no lawyer, but at a very basic level I question the legality of forcing an individual (not commercial) visiting WY, with say TN plates, meeting WY state LICENSURE (not registration) laws for GVWR, etc.

States have varying laws for REGISTRATION and LICENSURE, and I understand that, but can they really dictate an out of state driver meeting their State's issued driver license for GVWR requirements? Is that not part of the reciprocity? this link would indicate that they can: https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv-special-drivers-license-requirements/

They certainly can dictate for those drivers who WERE ISSUED a DL in their state, but your drivers license is based in a different state with different standards. There is a complete lack of uniformity from state to state. One state requires a non-commercial equivalent to a cdl for a particular GVWR. Another does not require a cdl, unless it is used in commerce. I guess the legal question is" What is this reciprocity law and what is it applicable to?"

Sidebar question: How does the Brazos FMTV differ from a military surplus vehicles that makes them compliant with supposed EPA and safety Federal Law? I know they have a Cummins 5.9 which is likely EPA compliant, but not much else about their inherent differences from the S&S and BAE versions.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can help you with NYSDMV laws pertaining to MV's . feel free to contact . I know there is a LOT going on in a lot of states with former mv's and it can be very frustrating . A lot of it goes back to the "off road only " issue which seems to be misunderstood by a lot of states DMV"s when it comes to any MV . Believe it or not NY is pretty good with registering former MV's we are a "show me the money" state . LOL . good luck Bob k

Reworked LMTV

I can help you with NYSDMV laws pertaining to MV's . feel free to contact . I know there is a LOT going on in a lot of states with former mv's and it can be very frustrating . A lot of it goes back to the "off road only " issue which seems to be misunderstood by a lot of states DMV"s when it comes to any MV . Believe it or not NY is pretty good with registering former MV's we are a "show me the money" state . LOL . good luck Bob k
I say "show me some Ted's Red Hots! They are the best!

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they are !!!LOL and don't forget some wings and blue cheese with a couple of cold ones !!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks