• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Required spare parts to keep on hand for MEP 802/803

spotrep

Good day gentlemen! (and gentlelady if you're here:LOL:)

I started this thread to be a guide to new MEP'ers like myself (ill pickup this weekend).

I want this thread to serve as a list of parts that the brightest minds on SS thinks we should all have on hand!
Now, this is not a place to debate how many spare meps one should have (at least 6).

Let me paint a picture:
I have an awesome, reliable diesel generator. The snow storm of the century is hammering my neighborhood and building mountains of snow that seemed unfathomable in my part of the country. Im ecstatic. My MEP is going to work keeping the lights on, my wife and babies warm. But suddenly the sound of silence comes crashing down on me. The warm air that was rushing out of the vents has ceased, the lights dim for the briefest moment before they die altogether. And then the shame of all shames, my loving and subtly passive aggressive wife asks "what happened?". I knew in that moment a silly, cheap part failed me. A part that if i had listened to that one thread on SS then i could pop it right on and be warm and the house lit like a Christmas tree!

So fellas, I ask, what is that part?

Hope you enjoyed the story!

Scoobyshep

Good day gentlemen! (and gentlelady if you're here)

I started this thread to be a guide to new MEP'ers like myself (ill pickup this weekend).

I want this thread to serve as a list of parts that the brightest minds on SS thinks we should all have on hand!
Now, this is not a place to debate how many spare meps one should have (at least 6).

Let me paint a picture:
I have an awesome, reliable diesel generator. The snow storm of the century is hammering my neighborhood and building mountains of snow that seemed unfathomable in my part of the country. Im ecstatic. My MEP is going to work keeping the lights on, my wife and babies warm. But suddenly the sound of silence comes crashing down on me. The warm air that was rushing out of the vents has ceased, the lights dim for the briefest moment before they die altogether. And then the shame of all shames, my loving and subtly passive aggressive wife asks "what happened?". I knew in that moment a silly, cheap part failed me. A part that if i had listened to that one thread on SS then i could pop it right on and be warm and the house lit like a Christmas tree!

So fellas, I ask, what is that part?

Hope you enjoyed the story!
The most important spare part, another generator!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air filter, water separator, fuel filter, oil filter, belt, and an oil change's worth of oil, coolant. If you have serious outage, you may be running long enough to need filter changes.

Fuel hose(s), spare fuel pump. (Did you upgrade your well nut yet?)

All fuses, wire butt splices (I'm looking at you 802a guys), repair wire, voltage regulator, relays.

Seriously, a spare generator. It's easier to fix your MEP unit when another one is running the show keeping the lights on and the heat (or A/C) running. It's easier to fix things when your family is comfortable.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Priority parts in my opinion are filters, fluids, and a selection of all the rubber stuff - Belts and hoses. Fuel pump.

fuel leaks are what I find most the common problem on these machines.

if you run the machine a lot then I would recommend having a water pump. They tend to start failing areound 1000 hrs.

Guyfang

Staff member
I started this thread to be a guide to new MEP'ers like myself. I want this thread to serve as a list of parts that the brightest minds on SS thinks we should all have on hand! So fellas, I ask, what is that part?

I have pared your opening comments down a bit. Here is my suggestion. Continue on in this fashion. BUT, solicit parts, NSN's, Part numbers, Manufactures names and maybe one or two different bits of info. Change the title to this thread to "Suggested Spare parts for MEP-802A & MEP-803A to keep on hand." People suggesting parts, but with no support info, are not what you want. INFO, and parts.

At the same time, start a PM,/conversation with 4-6 people, (The Committee") you should be able to pick out after reading some old threads. You and they need to create a DATA BASE. Excel form, logical, simple and easy to use. Then you start going through the threads and looking at what others have written. Daybreaks thread with filter info is a great place to start. All of you, and others who submit info to the Committee. The Committee sorts it out, pares the often repeated info down to a manageable listing. Put it in your data base.

Requirements should include a few rules. Thats your job to come up with. I would suggest that at the least, suggested parts and info be "Tried and True". Whoever suggested it has used that part, from that manufacturer. Not just something you pull out of the internet. Tried and true. Then you start a thread with your data base in it. LOCKED. No one can just change or add to it but ONE person. All new additions and corrections are done by ONE person. That way its under control and the thread will not be 299 pages long. Then we make it a Sticky. It stays at the top of the Generator threads, easy to find.

Or, you can continue on like you are, and the thread will be 299 pages long and one day hidden 22 pages deep in the forum archive, like several others I have seen.

spotrep

I started this thread to be a guide to new MEP'ers like myself. I want this thread to serve as a list of parts that the brightest minds on SS thinks we should all have on hand! So fellas, I ask, what is that part?

I have pared your opening comments down a bit. Here is my suggestion. Continue on in this fashion. BUT, solicit parts, NSN's, Part numbers, Manufactures names and maybe one or two different bits of info. Change the title to this thread to "Suggested Spare parts for MEP-802A & MEP-803A to keep on hand." People suggesting parts, but with no support info, are not what you want. INFO, and parts.

At the same time, start a PM,/conversation with 4-6 people, (The Committee") you should be able to pick out after reading some old threads. You and they need to create a DATA BASE. Excel form, logical, simple and easy to use. Then you start going through the threads and looking at what others have written. Daybreaks thread with filter info is a great place to start. All of you, and others who submit info to the Committee. The Committee sorts it out, pares the often repeated info down to a manageable listing. Put it in your data base.

Requirements should include a few rules. Thats your job to come up with. I would suggest that at the least, suggested parts and info be "Tried and True". Whoever suggested it has used that part, from that manufacturer. Not just something you pull out of the internet. Tried and true. Then you start a thread with your data base in it. LOCKED. No one can just change or add to it but ONE person. All new additions and corrections are done by ONE person. That way its under control and the thread will not be 299 pages long. Then we make it a Sticky. It stays at the top of the Generator threads, easy to find.

Or, you can continue on like you are, and the thread will be 299 pages long and one day hidden 22 pages deep in the forum archive, like several others I have seen.
thank you for this suggestion! I plan on doing nearly this. I will make a version for SS but also an excel sheet that can be shared. I also want to include page numbers in TM’s, links to YouTube videos, and links to SS pages where replacing that specific parts is discussed/shown. I will do a SS post for sure detailing as much as possible but I think this format will limit how much info is available in an easily understood way.

I am certainly open to a committee but frankly I’m so new here and new to the MEP (I technically dont even have one yet:ROFLMAO:) that it feels like an overstep of me to ask. BUT if any of you are reading this and want to help in this please message me and by the end of the day I will start a group with all the members of the Fellowship ™.

I would love to do the work to curate this, but will need the advice of the experts here. Also, in the interest of all of us, please only request to join the committee if youre experienced in these matters. I have too little experience on this forum to arbitrate who is worthy or not, so I ask that you self audit.

thanks fellas!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks