• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reset at Letterkenny...?

toomanytools

I won a MEP 003a with 200 hours. Had a tag that said "Reset at Letterkenny".
I Understand they are a rebuild facility, but does anyone know how deep they go into the gear? Do they rebuild the engines, alt, etc., or just test and replace bad parts and repaint with a garden hose. Sorry about that guys, but wow, I didn't think they made paint that thick. As bonus, it's on everything. Hoses, wires, fittings to where you need the next wrench size.. Anyhow, really curious. Thanks

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have toured the rebuild facility. My best friend from HS works the disassembly line.

They take them down to the last bolt. They get test run for uh, uh, I can't remember but a long time with more probes on them than I had during my sleep study, lower GI, upper GI, and whatever else combined.

Assuming it passed the final test, you got a good one.

And yes, there are a lot of items getting rebuilt and then immediately sent to DRMO.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A military "Reset" puts the item in question back to within factory specs...basically brand-spanking-new

toomanytools

Thanks Speed. Now the real problem. I now own a Reset 003 with 240 hrs and it runs great. I just won an 002 with 901 hrs and after solving some IP trouble , it runs great. Plan was to sell the 002 to offset costs of 003. 002 had a cover I wanted for 003. You kinda see the logic here. The problem is .... I like them both. Ugh!!, I already have ( has my wife constanltly reminds me) Toomanytools. This OD fever is really bad.

Carl_in_NH

002A's have their place, too; it's nice to have a smaller genset so when the loads are lighter you can run while consuming about half the fuel per hour.

Yes, keep them both.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Speed. Now the real problem. I now own a Reset 003 with 240 hrs and it runs great. I just won an 002 with 901 hrs and after solving some IP trouble , it runs great. Plan was to sell the 002 to offset costs of 003. 002 had a cover I wanted for 003. You kinda see the logic here. The problem is .... I like them both. Ugh!!, I already have ( has my wife constanltly reminds me) Toomanytools. This OD fever is really bad.
Put a for sale sign on it with a price that no one will pay. If someone pays, you made out well. If not, you get to keep both generators while being able to tell the wife..."I have it listed for sale. I am trying to sell it." :-D

coyote62ny

that od green is a real addiction i started out getting 1 2ao16 engine to replace the 7hp tecumsh on a snow blower now i have 2 1.5 kw 120/240 gen sets 1 1.5 kw 28 volt battery booster 3 more 2ao16 engines and 1 1ao8 engine the last 3 engines are in my living room for nowplus 1 2.5 kw gen set made by the mall tool co and 1 mep-003 gen set to run my home and shop(after its done this spring) would be nice if we had some military shows around here in up state ny to show our od green iron might take my gen sets to the one show we do have here on memorial weekend i noticed some guys last year with military trucks .

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question on the reset tag. Did you know it was rebuilt before bidding. Could you see the reset tag without previewing the gen. first. Another words, can you tell it was a rebuild without going to site and preview. Thanks

toomanytools

I did go to preview, and it was my first time. I was scrambling between 40+ gensets, GL papers in hand, making notes on looks,tires, hours, etc. I was worried there was a time limit on my visit. I did not see the "Reset" plate until after loadout.

I had made notes, and bid on 2 sets, wanting 1. If prices were low enough, I would take both, but they ramped up over $800 near the end. I chose the one with lowest hours (201) and got it for $1290.00 +tax/comm. 1500.00 when the dust settled. I am Very pleased with this unit (on a trailer). 2 batteries, filters and oil, started right up and load banked ( on a real load bank) for over an hour at 11kw. The "Reset" is just super good luck it would seem.

I have since won a 002a, as noted in other posts, and I am just as pleased.

And no on seeing the tag in any preview photos. Heck, I didn't even know to look during preview.

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like you did it right. I would like to be able to preview stuff before hand, but not living anywhere near a Gl site. I just try to make a choice by looking at the pictures.

R0E0D

generator reset stickers?

i have looked on the form for reset stickers to no avail. i am curious to the generator that have reset stickers on them that i see in GL. the stickers are white blue and green paper stickers the gen sets do not look like a reset gen. is there a meaning to the stickers good or bad. help will be much appreciated be for i bid to much on junk that needs total overhaul.

Isaac-1

If done correctly the resets should bring these generators back into factory new spec condition, having said that there are a few accounts on here over the years of low hour resets being big paper weights. One account that comes to mind involves a MEP-002a or MEP-003a where the bolts fastening the generator end to the engine end were not properly tightened and backed out within a few hours of operation. There is also the potential for things to go wrong in storage sitting in an open yard after a reset, lets say you see a unit for sale that shows 5 hours or run time and reset done in 2008, in those 7 years since the reset was done old fuel could have gummed up the injection pump, or moisture could have worked its way in ... Having said that many people will pay top dollar for a reset unit, and I think most around here feel they stand a much higher chance of being a runner than your random GL generator. It all works out as a trade off though, in my part of the country low hour resets typically sell for more than double the price of a 1,000-2,000 hour generator, at least in the case of the MEP-002a / MEP-003a's. Keep in mind also that low hours on the meter does not mean low hours on the generator, I bought a MEP-016D Yanmar conversion a couple of years back showing just a couple of hours on the meter, and looked in good cosmetic condition (turned out to have some minor wiring issues, and a clogged fuel filter, otherwise it was a runner), the low hours on the meter were thanks to someone (probably the contractor that did the conversion) installing a DC hour meter on an AC reference line.

Ike

R0E0D

they definitely don't look like a factory reset. some of them are beat up some missing the top exhaust cover with 1000+ hrs some low like 300 to 800. i just keeps seeing a sticker that will say reset on some of them oh and all look like they are missing a fan belt some missing a starter. and a some have a new plug on the side of the block. this is one example http://gyazo.com/a164dbc6af5b9e6565bf04f2a8da06db

Isaac-1

I have not seen that sticker before, I suspect it means send to be reset, not the typical Reset by Leterkenny with a date (or other depot)

R0E0D

i think it means the same send to be reset. so some one has found a problem or there is a problem with it or it just looks bad.
on that note what do you think some of them junk for parts or running with a PM and look over. i have 2 701a i feel i got real lucky but they did not have that paper reset on them. i see one that is not in a bid war it has just over 1000 hrs. looks good inside and out but it is missing the exhaust flapper and has a reset sticker on it the paper one like that in the pic how what is the chances of water and rust to the engine. i have never had or worked on a 803a what should i look out for and to expect to go wrong or check out if i get it.