• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reset at Letterkenny...?

Ray70

When the units are reset they get a metal tag riveted to the machine that lists the date of reset, who reset it and the hours on it when it was reset. Often times they are freshly painted when reset. I'd be willing to bet Blue and white stickers do not mean it has been reset already.... it probably means it needs to be done.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Dirt bath is the most common cure.
The alive side affects are.
Lower bank account. Dirty nails and a assorment of cuts,scratchs some needing surgy. Possible Divorce. Endless hours in front of the computer leading to poor eye sight. Some dirty words spoken out to one's self when a sniper bids at the last min. of auction and the clock goes for another 15 min. Back problems from thinking you young and strong enough to lift 16x20 XZL tire and wheel. Pissed off nabors just to name afew.

Isaac-1

I suspect this is a bit like condition codes on GL, it is hard to say and may mean anything from not running because of something easy to fix (clogged filter) to scrap metal. As to the MEP-803a topic, my impression is they tend to have more wrong with them than the older MEP-002a / MEP-003a's when they are sold by GL. I don't know if this relates to overall reliability or that only the real problem generators get sent to GL for disposal.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the units are reset they get a metal tag riveted to the machine that lists the date of reset, who reset it and the hours on it when it was reset. Often times they are freshly painted when reset. I'd be willing to bet Blue and white stickers do not mean it has been reset already.... it probably means it needs to be done.
This is not always the case. I picked up a reset 002A a few years ago that had a paper serial tag attached in roughly the same location that Letterkenny attaches it's metal tags. The reset had been performed by a civilian defense contractor and all documentation from the reset referred to that number.

rustystud

The alive side affects are.
Lower bank account. Dirty nails and a assorment of cuts,scratchs some needing surgy. Possible Divorce. Endless hours in front of the computer leading to poor eye sight. Some dirty words spoken out to one's self when a sniper bids at the last min. of auction and the clock goes for another 15 min. Back problems from thinking you young and strong enough to lift 16x20 XZL tire and wheel. Pissed off nabors just to name afew.
Have you been spying on me ? "Oh" your talking about yourself ! LOL !!!

Humpy

Yes I have noticed the stenciled in RESET tape on some and I immediatley figured it was someone's dream to send it for a real RESET and someone else said, "screw it dump it".

I have a very good friend who is retired SGM and he was bidding on some stuff that disappeared a few minutes before bidding ended. This happened several times and he started photographing the computer screens and when he got enough "evidence" he went to see the IG and they got to looking at it and said the equipment was never in the system. Then he dropped the pics on them and they started looking again and found out some stuff had been diverted and there was no justification.

Finally the IG told him they had a big ongoing investigation going into similar complaints and confirmed there was definitely problems throughout the system.

I also have a good friend who is retd Master Gunny and he told me a lot of retired Gunnys go to Albany and get jobs when they retire and he was of the opinion that one would think they cared but in reality a lot of retirees are irritated at the Corps as there is a tendancy to revert officers back to enlisted ranks to make room for new incoming officers and resulting morale deterioration which makes sense.

Thusly there is a tendancy to "take out frustrations". Another former Marine Sgt (my best friend) told me "the only happy Marine is a former Marine".

For instance the Corps contracted with Unertl Optical Co. to make their sniper scopes in the early 80s and they were superb. Unertl also had the repair contract for them and John Unertl (who was a long time friend) told me personally face to face he was continually getting in scopes for repair/rebuild with the rear lens shattered. He got to asking how such would occur and he was told the snipers rammed cleaning rods through the rear lens claiming it was an accident. As a long time competition shooter I am not buying that and neither did John and no other shooter I know did so.

I mentioned that on a shooting forum and this one irate type responded so I wrote a FOIA to the HQ Marine Corps asking for the number of scopes damaged in this way and got no response.

From the pics I have studied the overall general condition of the equipment I see advertised from Albany is much more deterriorated and damaged than that at Army installations and hasn't been cared for properly and I am reluctant to bid on anything from Albany just viewing the damages I see.

For instance someone mentioned missing fan belts and I notice that on many of the units. Also I have yet to see one with installed batteries. Yes the batteries in the unit I got from Bragg were shot but at least they were there to use as a core credit. I saw one unit that looked like a lot of the wiring had been removed from the engine compartment.

I tend to fully agree the units reworked by LEAD are in superb condition when they leave there.

I wonder how many of you guys have gotton nice units from Albany and how many have got problems.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

On the topic of batteries, some DRMO/GL sites are much more picky about removal of batteries, fluids, etc. for environmental concerns than others, I just wish they would not tend to cut the radiator hoses to drain the coolant on engines. I will not say I never see batteries on listing from the local GL site, but I will say I can't recall seeing a battery in the last couple of years on anything.

Humpy

Might have been an anomaly but one I got from Bragg had batts and both were way out of date so I used them as core exchanges. The unit had "FLUIDS DRAINED" writing on everything including a tag on it. Fuel tank dry, engine drained as was radiator but new filters were on engine and in fuel/water cup, fan belt in place, water in radiator emptied.

As well the guys at the yard were very cordial and answered all my questions and I could not have asked for friendlier folks to help me.

1800 Diesel

On the topic of batteries, some DRMO/GL sites are much more picky about removal of batteries, fluids, etc. for environmental concerns than others, I just wish they would not tend to cut the radiator hoses to drain the coolant on engines. I will not say I never see batteries on listing from the local GL site, but I will say I can't recall seeing a battery in the last couple of years on anything.
How about a cold chisel hole in the oil pan for draining the oil? Discovered this when I picked the set up from the ANG Base in Delaware. I guess that was easier than opening the valve. This was on an MEP-OO4AAS.

Humpy

Wow,I bet you had a case of the jaws like a Jump Master with a Plane Load of Quitters over that ! ! ! ! ! How long ago?

I think I would be inclined to give a call to an IG or CID on that as that would be a felony based on the cost of the unit involved.

Got a photo of it? Post it.

R0E0D

Thanks for all your help on this. I really want one for a good price but I do not want a money pit I got one of those already. the only ones that are in my price look like junk.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i got a reset mep-903. no bolts in the gen head drive plate, excessive use of black sealant on timing cover resulting in missformed 'o' rings for oil passages. it just worries me when the mil rebuilds anything, they just don't care to do a good job.

Glockfan

i got a reset mep-903. no bolts in the gen head drive plate, excessive use of black sealant on timing cover resulting in missformed 'o' rings for oil passages. it just worries me when the mil rebuilds anything, they just don't care to do a good job.
Tom, I have a spare control panel for a 903 and a few odds and ends, if you need any parts PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks