• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resistor Distrbitor cap question convert?

biggus

I just got a 77 M880 that has the old military resistor distributor cap and plug wires...etc.. it was a communication vehicle.

Can I easily replace this with a stock cap and wires, is there any modification. The existing cap looks taller than a stock cap.

Any help appreciated.

biggus

I'm sorry, I think it's called a radio suppression system (dist. cap & wires), can I just put a regular cap and change out the wires and plugs with the existing distributor?

biggus

Is the suppression system better or best left on verses updating to modern?
Plus, you are saying I can leave the original dist. in and it will take a madern cap?

biggus

OK, I believe now I have a M882 that has had the 24V removed, but still has the shielded plug wires and plugs. Instead of switching it all out, are there shielded replacement plugs on the market, or am I better off changing it all to a newer civilian set-up, but I am hoping the civilian dist. cap fits on the existing dist.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The distributer is the same.
The suppression system has no engine performance difference over the std system.

Only radio trucks had the suppression cap & wires
the typical M880 series truck had the normal cap & wires.

Just off the top of my head, I didn't think the plugs were any different.

Last edited:

biggus

Thanks for the info.

Any suggestions of increasing fuel milage?

Going to rebuild the Carter 2b, noy unless there is a better one out there (replacement) that will give better performance plus milage.

N1265

I went from 9.8 MPG to 12 MPG when I :

re built the carter,

advanced timing to 10 deg BTDC,

took the cargo cover off and removed the troop seats,

If you get better than 12 MPG let us know how...

biggus

Removed the radio suppression system last night, just put it on Ebay. Still need to rebuild the carb.
Are the u-joints a stock item that I can order as a Dodge W200?

Are the fuel tanks in these metal or plastic, I seem to be getting some rust in the filter, don't know if it's the tank or lines.

Thanks for evryones help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks