• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resistor help

123mack

Before using the starting aid on my M816, I decided to inspect the system for loose connections, etc. As part of the inspection I pulled the glow plug and the element was burnt in two. Thinking it may hav been subject to excessive voltage, I checked the power at the resistor. 12v into the resistor, and 11.9 v out. Anyone ever see this happen? From my experience, when a wire type resistor goes bad, it usually fails to an open condition. What ohms should it read? Anyway I'll probably be needing a replacement.

crasheej

It will read what comes out the resistor. You will need a new glow plug. That is what will happen when it gets life on. And that will also run that one battery down. Then no start at all until you charge the battery. So you want to make sure the starting aid switch is off.

123mack

Maybe I wasn't clear. There is 12v entering the resistor. There is supposed to be 6v exiting the resistor,but instead there is 11.9v. And I do have a new glow plug.

papercu

South Alabama? I'm in South Ga and have never used the glow plug system on my M816, if it is that chilly a shot of starting fluid works great. IMO
The TM shows 6v coming out from the resistor and there is a
"COLD START RELAY – Maintains glow plug voltage by reducing the resistance in series with glow plug during cranking". Wayne

Last edited:

123mack

I'm about 40 miles south of Birmingham. You're probably right, I could get by with a whiff of ether. Just like for everything to work

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to confirm, you have 11.9v at the GP, with it all connected and on?

I'll go out in a bit and measure one of mine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the wire off the GP and turned on the switch, I had 9.5 volts.

I connected the wire back on to the GP and it measured 3 volts.

I did not measure any of the 4 connections on the 2 resistors.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The circuit needs to be completed, for the resistors to function(drop the voltage).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I started the 819 the time it was down to 16, a SMALL shot of ether and started right up, I keep my batteries on a 1 amp float charger, so thay are ALWYS HOT

Last edited:

crasheej

I've got an old 9-2320-260-20 corrected copy dated July 1972 If I knew how to scan all the you would have how to check the cold starting system out . One of thefrist things it says is disconnect the 575 wire from the glow plug connect the multimeter, set to the 50-volt scale, between 575 wire and engine block . Turn cold start switchon. Meter should indicate 12- to 13-volts and cold start indicactor brillance should increase with plug disconnected. This iss on page 2-95. Like I said these is an old copy.Don't know what the newer one says.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks