• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resistration issues in Iowa!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's ALWAYS a good idea to read the actual LAWS that these Bureaucrats are misinterpretting. Once you "arm yourself" you can intelligently "argue" your case against their misunderstanding.

The LETTER linked above references the "CFR" (Code of Federal Regulations). This link gets you there....

PART 571—FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS :: PART 571--FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS :: CHAPTER V--NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION :: Title 49 - Transportation :: Code of Federal Regul

The specific paragraph that is cited is quoted below....

§ 571.7 Applicability.

(a) General. Except as provided in paragraphs (c) and (d) of this section, each standard set forth in subpart B of this part applies according to its terms to all motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment the manufacture of which is completed on or after the effective date of the standard.
(b) [Reserved]
(c) Military vehicles. No standard applies to a vehicle or item of equipment manufactured for, and sold directly to, the Armed Forces of the United States in conformity with contractual specifications.

------

Good luck with your challenges.
John

Gastrap

Originally Posted by USAFSS-ColdWarrior
It's ALWAYS a good idea to read the actual LAWS that these Bureaucrats are misinterpretting. Once you "arm yourself" you can intelligently "argue" your case against their misunderstanding.

The problem is Iowa has already passed a law based on their misinterpretation of title 49, and Andy Lewis refuses to argue the point.

Federal safety label - Motor Vehicle Enforcement - Motor Vehicle Division

Even when contacting the Governors office the OP was diverted back to Lewis. We need to deal with representatives and then Ombudsmans office to get this resolved, I have some letters out now. Hopefully it wont be as big a fight as WI was for them.

Use on public streets sticker

I work on cars and trucks for a living. I happen to be working for an 85 year old Iowa farm boy, and WW2 vet! He gets up at 5:30 and works on cars/trucks 7 days a week. I worked for him in the early 70s too. A very fine man.

It just occurred to me that the "tag" is actually a sticker under the hood that is usually missing on vehicles that old.
The sticker does not specify the brand/model. It just states that "this vehicle conforms to". Why not have a small roll of stickers made up and....

On a different path. If you want I can get it registered in Va. as daily or antique vehicle, and I send you the paperwork where I sold it to you. GL sent me a title for mine... no problems!
Did you say you have an Az. title?
All I ask from you is to cover the costs involved. I will need a signed, but not dated, bill of sale. I will email this doc to you. You will send me the original by USPS. This is to stop the state from billing me for the "ownership tax".

e

Last edited:

acvolt145

Well if that was that easy I would have it solved already, the sf97 is in my name and I got it for myself not resale and of course it has my address on it which is Iowa, it has been tried in another state and they did not like that I did not have a title with my name on it, so they were inferring that I was attempting to jump titles, which I cant because I cant even get a title in the state of Iowa to be able to prove ownership.....like it was said before...think its time to lawyer up....even have Gl on the issue because since its not legal in Iowa to title it, it was sold from Gl with the understanding with a sf-97 I would be able to legally obtain a title, which at this point in time is not going to happen, therefore GL illegally sold me a vehicle which is not capable of being titled, so they are also on the hook due to them being a licensed dealer.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I talked to the Iowa DOT nazi's the other day as a matter of fact. Due to the fact that I might be moving to TN in the next year or so. It pertained to towing a trailer with my M-61. They asked if I had that little safety sticker and that if I didn't I would be subject to a safety check when I pull into their weigh station, even though my truck was built in 1962 which should make it exempt but ya know. Which means they might tear my truck into 10million pieces just to find everything is fine. They also told me that I had to have a class A cdl, as well as buy their fuel permit. Even though I am just moving. Either way, even towing my M-61 behind my F-350 I still have to buy the permit. blah. I thought about avoiding Iowa all together!

joediveguy

Gl might be able to help you out by sending you a title instead of the SF97. VA does not accept a SF97, so GL sends a title, mine is from FL. Would that solve the problem? Maybe them seeing that it was once titled, they will just transfer it into your name without the sticker…….

This may have been covered but it is early and I need more coffee. Good luck!

wikallen

Iowa does not accept sf97s, GL issues an AZ title if you are in Iowa. Well they have for everything I have purchased anyway.

35Z-SGM

Iowa registration

I just titled a 67 M715 here in IA. The ladies at the DMV were aware of the issues with military vehicles and contacted the State office. The faxed a copy of the SF97, and emailed a photo of the vehicle and a photo of the data plate showing weights and I was titled within the hour. You may want to have the local office call the state office and ask for guidance on registration. Good Luck!

Gastrap

Iowa does not accept sf97s, GL issues an AZ title if you are in Iowa. Well they have for everything I have purchased anyway.
ACVOLT145 did get an Arizona title and had attempted to transfer, I think he just mistyped in above post about SF97.

I had a DOT inspector at my house today for an unrelated issue, and upon seeing my deuce we got into a conversation about Andy Lewis's decision on these issues. He said it is in fact state policy now to follow the wording of their law and refuse title to any vehicle newer than 1968 without the safety sticker. I told him there are a lot of folks using these vehicles legally registered in Iowa already and showed him they have DOT glass, and all other required safety equipment that a motor vehicle must have as defined by Iowa law. This officer is not in a position to make any decisions on this issue other than to deny title, it comes from a higher level. He did say even the CUCV is included in this catagory and will not be issued title.

I have still not received any response from the many emails and phone calls I have made. I am working on a letter for a couple reps now.

On a positive note, He did issue me approval for my bonded title to my 1950 chevy pickup:-D

Stan

Anyone involved with this contact the MVPA? These are issues that they should be made aware of and should help with if the hobby is to grow.

Flyingvan911

Since all A2 deuces between '65 and '73 (or about that range) are basicly the same, I wonder if you could make a case for deuces after '68. Or, more '68 and older A2 deuces being registered. Cough. Cough. There must be something in my throat.

Ma Duce

Guys, this is my profession, and have done a little bit of lobbying in Iowa.

My suggestion is get to your state rep or senator. The only thing those bueracrats understand is when an elected official starts making a lot of noise.

And you can ask them about a legislaitve fix. Usually means a committee hearing where you get to have someone from the DMV defend their stupid rule. You can point out that they are ignoring the exemption in the code and depriving the State of revenue from titles and registrations.

If the DMV falls under a different consitutional office, here in Illinois it is the Secretary of State, you can have your reps and senators start calling them and raising a fuss.

You may not need a legislative fix, but if they get obstinant, a committee hearing to make them look like fools usually helps.

Gastrap

Guys, this is my profession, and have done a little bit of lobbying in Iowa.

My suggestion is get to your state rep or senator. The only thing those bueracrats understand is when an elected official starts making a lot of noise.

And you can ask them about a legislaitve fix. Usually means a committee hearing where you get to have someone from the DMV defend their stupid rule. You can point out that they are ignoring the exemption in the code and depriving the State of revenue from titles and registrations.

If the DMV falls under a different consitutional office, here in Illinois it is the Secretary of State, you can have your reps and senators start calling them and raising a fuss.

You may not need a legislative fix, but if they get obstinant, a committee hearing to make them look like fools usually helps.
I have a very informative letter in the hands of one of the good guys who is a member of the house transportation committee. He has already contacted me saying he is looking into it. Hopefully he is able to inform IDOT they're on the wrong track with this issue!

Jericho1415

Just adding to this post as it has not been updated for a while. I just titled my 1984 M923 today. They did have a problem with the short VIN, but they faxed the Arizona title to the DMV office in Des Moines so they could add the VIN manually to the system. I also had to fill out the Military Vehicle Safety certification form and shazam I have title and plates.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Sure sounds like Iowa has imported a lot a bueracratic stupid people into the state. Guess the events of earlier this week further proves that. Move to a different state or retake it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks