• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resotoring a polaris military snowmobile

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am all about Sleds/Snowmobiles. I run 2 Yamaha's every winter. Let me know if I can help out in any way. I have many parts and good sources for parts.

This will be an excellent thread.....I would go with 383 Carc green myself.[thumbzup]

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, Now first things first. You have to get it running. I looked at the engine and it might be a wise solution to do a full replacement. I also noticed some steering components are missing...?

axlr8

Ok, Yes, it is a polaris 500. I also second the complete drop in motor. I have parts, but they are arctic cat. I may be of some help, but I cannot do clutching. I tried. and failed....haha

steelypip

Looks like a Polaris Indy 500, but didn't they have 3 carbs? Good luck on the restore and have fun with them.
The earlier (air cooled) big displacement Polarises had three jugs, but I think they went to a twin with water cooling or shortly thereafter. We were always an Arctic Cat family, but I remember admiring that vintage Indy when it came out. It'll be a nice sled when it's put together.

Are the little bogie wheels on the skis just ski dollies or are they permanently attached?

SFGABN@5th

the little boogie wheels are just ski dollise to move it around. and working on my loooooong list of repairs will post tommorow.
Im still thinking about the paint job.

Kevin

axlr8

So, what overall condition is it in? and Im assuming your into sled repairs! :grin: I found a barn stored John Deere JDX8 Sled this weekend, Looking at getting her, she has 783 miles. looks nice too!

axlr8

well, as depressing as it is...We had snow and It melted. aua The sleds are anxious as is the driver... Thought Id ask for progress report!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks