• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration Guide

AN/GRC-46

This is an old subject, beat to death long ago but on a whim, I thought of looking up what's going on with David Ahl's "Dodge M37 Restoration Guide" There are currently four used ones for sale through Amazon. Listed prices are $599.95, $799.95, $849.95, and $999.00. If I had only had the foresight of buying up a bunch a couple of years ago when they were "only" $150 What are people thinking? Would anybody ever even consider paying that much for a book that isn't even that useful anyway.

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an old subject, beat to death long ago but on a whim, I thought of looking up what's going on with David Ahl's "Dodge M37 Restoration Guide" There are currently four used ones for sale through Amazon. Listed prices are $599.95, $799.95, $849.95, and $999.00. If I had only had the foresight of buying up a bunch a couple of years ago when they were "only" $150 What are people thinking? Would anybody ever even consider paying that much for a book that isn't even that useful anyway.
Wow! I thought I did good selling my copy on EBay for 75.00. I payed 20.00 for it at Iola.

Frank

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would of liked to have a copy just for my small collection, but I'll wait until the price comes back to Earth. It will turn up some when your not really looking for it, like your 20 dollar copy. Good hunting!

zak

I donated one to the G741 forum so the members could pass it around. Maybe I should see if its still being passed about

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Zak, I thought I remembered something about the book being passed around. I never used it but thank you for offering it up. I sure hope it's not one of them on e-bay

zak

Well I wrote in big letters " Property of the G741 Forum" on the cover and sides with a magic marker. I just inquired on the G741 forum and got a response from a member who asked for it from the last person and he never received it. I hate thinking the worst about people............my day job takes care of that all ready.
I only paid $14.95 for the thing but it the principle

Last edited:

majorhitt

When I first started on my M37 I picked up a copy. Like mentioned by AN/GRC-46 it wasn't all that useful. Several pages were from TMs. Yea, maybe I should have picked up an extra copy or two if I had any Idea they would be selling for that much.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, like everything they can ask what they want, but who really would pay that. You can get more from all the forums than that book.

Well I sure can't figure it out. For the good it was, a train load wouldn't be worth .50 to me for my own use. I've forgot more M37 info than that book offered. The truck also fell apart in no time after it was sold to a guy in Ohio who thought that since it was the featured truck in that almighty book; it had to be the BEST M37 ever. He paid a premium price for the truck and got burned seriously bad. I wish I had kept his name and contact info when he called us wanting to talk fixing it up. David Ahl sounded more like a comedian in the book than a truck builder. It was a joke. Always heard the world was full of suckers, must be true if that bird cage liner brings the prices listed on Amazon.

Dalton

The only thing I can figure is that some libraries are used to paying huge sums for certain types of books. Some of the people doing the buying for these libraries don't really know what they are doing and/or they have to spend their allotments by a certain date or lose it. They may simply buy whatever books patrons request. Some patrons make requests without knowing the price; they see a reference to the book and make a request. So sellers might set some very high prices in the hope of getting lucky. In my own work I use a scientific journal that has a subscription rate of several thousand dollars a year.

Last edited:

Eric's hifim37

I used to read mine in the can, I thought it was a way for Dave to try and recoup some of his investment in his M37 nighmare, all it sounded like to me when I read the book is I need to suck up to my wife and use my retirement to build one. As for informantion ??? what information, I liked the pictures :razz: I guess I'm lucky to have a mechanical skill and not need this book, if I was counting on it to use as a restoration guide I would be lost !!!

As for the going rates of this book, heck I can't sell mine it is to intertaining to sell so I'll keep it. I have seen these sell for stupid prices but for what I am reading here I will be selling it once they start going for a thousand, then I can afford to fill up the gas tank on the M37 and go for a ride ! and thank Dave for my investment when I bought his book back in the days for $20.00. Ohh , I just realized ! The book has not gone up in value, OUR DOLLAR has dropped today where you need a thousand dollars to buy a 20.00 dollar book from the good ole days.

DAP

Some of the articles I wrote for Military Vehicles Magazine when I was recovering from having 20% of my lung removed (1997) were republished in the that book. Despite the fact that Charles constantly disses the book my original involvement in writing was a fun activity while I was recovering and couldn't do anything else. I should probably write up some other things for MVM but I just seem to run out of day. I must be getting older - hahahahaha

Eric's hifim37

I was a little harsh on my responce and I ment no disrespect, you are right the book is enertaining in it's own way, it should have been titled different because some people really think it is a guide to restore their M37, I like the Book and it is not for sale, I'll keep it. I do like the pictures and the fact the M37 is my favorite MV. I was glad to see it recognized in print as I do tire of all the Jeep hipe books that flood the market and the great awesome M37 has to be the underdog workhorse that is never mentioned for that I do respect the Book.

Eric..:beer:

DAP

No problem with your comments. I to am amazed at the prices asked for the book but that doesn't mean they will actually sell for that does it - LOL? If they do then I regret not having ordered 15 of them to finance my M37 rebuild project. I am currently taking two 1950s junk M37a and plan over the course of 20 years to make one good one out of it. I am 6 years into the project. I decided to paint this one mid 1950 Marine Core OD since one of them had the Marine Core "paper clips" on the front bumper and the heavy brackets on the rear around the tail lights. Still debating the wisdom of installing the original gas engine or maybe another diesel. Diesel is high in cost but at least the fuel doesn't go bad in the tank if it sits for 2 months or so like a gas engine one would. I still have less than 14 years to decide - hahaha. On the other hand if someone walked in my garage and waved big cash under my nose I would be tempted to sell it since I can't drive 2 M37's at the same time. it is a fun hobby!
I have finally found the 3/4 ton generator trailer, cargo trailer and Pioneer Tool trailer so my M37 matching stable of trailers is complete. In fact the Pioneer Tool trailer I got last fall proved a real distraction to the M37 project. I still have wiring to do and then I am about ready to put it on the road. Maybe another year or two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks