• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration Question

Cigarjoe

I am planning a frame off restoration of my 1985 M1008. The biggest questions I have is about the motor. What are the differences between the civilian 12v 6.2 and the military 24v 6.2? I know the starter is different, but what else is there that I cant get at the auto parts store? If there is anything else that I need to know going into this please feel free to tell me

Cucvnut

its a j code 6.2 it has more hp. cdr vavles are $$ now on ebay. and some people say the injectors are a diff lenght. im sure more people will chime in with more info

Mudstone

starter, second alternator, extra leaf in the front, they may be wider as well, you're big issues will be with electrical. There are a bunch of parts that are a PITA. Glow plug control module, resistors. Also there is the blackout drive system.

dstang97

its a j code 6.2 it has more hp. cdr vavles are $$ now on ebay. and some people say the injectors are a diff lenght. im sure more people will chime in with more info
You can buy 95% parts at a auto store may not have in stock but they can get them. I just got my crd valve for 30 bucks Check the parts for sale section. I actually got it today. The guy that is seling them is great to deal with.

Cigarjoe

starter, second alternator, extra leaf in the front, they may be wider as well, you're big issues will be with electrical. There are a bunch of parts that are a PITA. Glow plug control module, resistors. Also there is the blackout drive system.
I don't think I will need to do anything with the leafs other than sandblast and paint, but correct me if I'm wrong didn't Gm build these at a civilian plant and send them out to be militarized at another plant and if so the wiring harness would have been stock and then just added too for the other systems? I don't know for sure if this is the case or not.