• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration (seeking opinions)

Bighurt

Probably my first thread starter but you have to start somewhere right. Regardless I'm still in the planning phase of my M35 restoration and I've come across some things that I'd like feedback and opions on.

I'd like to restor my unit to origional status, but there are some ideas I would like to encorporate that diverge from "origional". She won't be bobbed or singled out on bigger rubber, I'm working on another truck for those mods.

However I'm having trouble narrowing down what constitutes an improvement and what is above and beyond..

Things I'm considering;

-Remote brake reservoir
-Yellow Top Optima
-Oil pan heater
-Coolant heater
-Block heater
-Cab liner/felt
-Bed liner
-OEM paint scheme

Now to me its the theme that matters, as long as I protray what the truck could have been in the time frame, its all that matters.

However, if I show up at a show or rally are those rivet counters (modelers term) going to give me a mouth full.

Just trying to feel out the crowd...

What constitues a restoration?

Please express opinions I can take it, or send me a PM

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been going to the rallies for a long time and I can't remember anyone giving anyone a hard time over their restoration. I say do what makes you happy.

Keith_J

You might reconsider the Yellow Tops. While they deliver great CCA, their poor reserve capacity might not be the best thing for North Dakota. While you won't have a glow plug load, the lack of reserve capacity will lower the overall cranking time, especially in cold weather.

With a 24 volt system, this is most important than CCA.

Another good modification is sealing the cab, especially around the firewall. This makes summer driving much more comfortable.

Scarecrow1

Dude to say what another member can are cannot do to ones truck is nuts ,,,it's yours paint it blue and put a bow on top and call it sweet pea it's yours ........ No really it's in the eye of the guy who hold the title I've seen them all colors , bobbed and chopped singled doubled and with 2 inches of mud on them as a norm .So I don't think anyone will say a thing except, nice truck how long you had it..:razz:

Bighurt

You might reconsider the Yellow Tops. While they deliver great CCA, their poor reserve capacity might not be the best thing for North Dakota. While you won't have a glow plug load, the lack of reserve capacity will lower the overall cranking time, especially in cold weather.
I was looking for the artic battery box. 6TL's are $105 just trying to save a few bucks.

Either way I don't keep batteries in my toys during the winter. If I had a plow for the duece it would eb a different story.

Still feeling it out, atm, yellow tops are a for sure thing. Although I'm considering them for my K1500 as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

Never been to a Rally, forgive the ignorance.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of plow trucks, if anyone is interested ACTIONFIGUREBOB has a nice deuce w/w that he mounted a snow plow on. The truck is really nice!

chicklin

I've never done the rallies or anything, but from the various message boards, I get the impression that the only people that worry about all the little nitty gritty details are the Jeep MB/GPW crowd. I think that's only because a properly restored Jeep can go for tens of thousands of dollars.

The deuces are big, cheap and plentiful (for now). Do what makes you happy.

Keith_J

Optima Spiracell batteries are great for light weight and vibration resistance plus being valve regulated sealed, they handle high temps better than flooded cell. Since these vehicles have isolated batteries from the engine compartment, that one advantage isn't needed. And because there is little vibration, there goes another advantage.

The killer for Deuce batteries is deep discharge. This causes interconnect corrosion, sulfate crystal formation and other near permanent damages.

With a good poly battery box, the best thing for storage is disconnection and a Battery Tender on each. A battery warmer to keep the temperature above freezing and you will be golden.

I tried a Red Top in my diesel. While it worked in warm weather, it did not have the guts to drive the glow plugs for more than 10 seconds with enough left over to start. Swapping with a proper 80 Amp-hour (Red Tops are only 48 Amp-hour) solved that problem.

Heavysteven

I saw some deuces at the Kentucy NG that they had restored. I loved the look of the camo CARC.

My goal is to repeat that same process and add the following items
Power Air Assit
Fix Heater
New CARC Paint Camo
Fix Crack windshield
Change all filters and fluids

Everyone has there own ideas, however i don't like the original Veitnam erae look. I want poeple to think this truck is in the military till they see me start loading groceries in it.

Bighurt

I figured yellow tops being a deep cycle would be better than the 6TL's. They are a little more than I thought for some reason I thought they were $99. They are actually $169 before discount and 6TL's are $105.

I really don't have a problem but I suppose is the Yellow top going to last $70 longer...

Bighurt

Everyone has there own ideas, however i don't like the original Veitnam erae look. I want poeple to think this truck is in the military till they see me start loading groceries in it.
There is another place I'm torn. I do like the camo look, mines flat olive drab. I've been trying to track down the reg that covered vehicle markings in that era. Also trying to crank my bumper nuimbers as well.

I suppose I could just follow its progress like the unit never loss the vehicle, giving it a modern era paint job.

Isn't CARC expensive?

I totally agree people look at you different when you use it as a grocery getter, to include calling the authorities so they can get you to return it to base....

zout

Man do whatever you want to YOUR truck - only thing I have seen bad outta this bunch of yahoo's is you gotta post pics or your dead meat and hung out to dry - so where are the pics (might as well start it off)

Good to have you post a thread.

If you built it to everyones liking - you will never get done and you will not receive a dime from anyone on how you build it from their suggestions.

Advise is always free and you and pic and choose what is best for you.
.02 worth.

Bighurt

Man do whatever you want to YOUR truck - only thing I have seen bad outta this bunch of yahoo's is you gotta post pics or your dead meat and hung out to dry - so where are the pics (might as well start it off)

Good to have you post a thread.

If you built it to everyones liking - you will never get done and you will not receive a dime from anyone on how you build it from their suggestions.

Advise is always free and you and pic and choose what is best for you.
.02 worth.

Thanks, and I'll try to get pics linked tonight, can't from work, stupid IT guys. Defenetly will do what I want its narrowing down what I want that is the problem...

Between this the other truck, my woodshop, side business and trying to convince the wife to let me build up and M40A5. I don't have time, but I've built one **** of a patient wife!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks