• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration sequence of events

Newer member here, been surfing the forum a while, have downloaded the TMs, and watched several hours worth of online videos. I was wondering what the core recommended restoration tasks are from other members? Which tasks are the highest priority to get a street-worthy vehicle?

BLK HMMWV

I'd start with a title and registration for the road.
If you can't get that in your state then your not going to have to worry about the street worthy part.

DREDnot

You are really going to have to start with a thorough cleaning.

IMG_00701.jpg

Strip off everything removable. Top, seats, insulation boards and padding...

DSCN5871.JPG

Then go after it with a scraping tool/flat bladed screwdriver to bust up the compacted filth in all the cubby boxes and crevices.
Then shop vac all the dirt, top snaps, and shell casings.
Sift through it to save all the bolts and parts...you will see why later.

DSCN5870.JPG

Then, after that, you can use the garden hose/pressure washer and a good scrub brush and purple green of your choice to scrub it back to clean CARC.
Along the way, you will become more familiar with the machine and find broken and missing items.

DSCN7201.JPG

20190110_100418.jpg

Once you have it clean, you can do a complete visual inspection top AND bottom and I do a photo survey of everything to document condition and use to study online. It really helps in getting to know your rig. Then do the complete PMCS services

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I agree 100 %

Give it the wash it hasn't seen in years. Take notes written or mental as to your observations. Compare with your current knowledge and build on it with the TM's

As you generate your "to do" list from above, you'll have a better understanding on the road of a fun hobby.

Paying attention at this point will "Payback" rewards later, CAMO

You find ali those extra parts in the glove box, LOL

Last edited:

CMPPhil

Photograph everything, just make it a practice before you start turning screws, bolts or unplugging anything to take several photos. Amazing how many times photos have helped me fix something or more exactly how to put it back together.

Couple of words of caution about photo, make sure you have more pictures of family than of your truck on your phone. Also as the years go by you will end up with lots of photos stored on your computer or in your cloud.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks