• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration Thread for M32 w/sidecar WW2 AAF Flight Line untility vehicle

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to get used to the way it turns. At first I cornered in a jerky fashion and felt uncomfortable leaning to far into the turn. But after a couple of tries it rides really good. The steering responds to any small movement of the handle bars. Of course the top speed is low. The tires are super close to the original Cushman Tire tread. I looked long and hard until I found three NOS Goodyear tires that are no longer made and in great condition.

The manufacturers maximum cruising speed on this particular model (4hp) with side car is 25 MPH on basically flat ground. Grades reduce the speed to a stop if the grade gets to steep.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting on the sidecar fabrication...

I got my M1 carbine replica and had to try it out in the scabbard. Ordered a period correct rifle sling for the carbine. Now to the sidecar frame

Previously in this thread were the pictures of the unusable sidecar frame that I had. But I did manage to salvage the suspension parts.

I have been working on the sidecar all along while the bike dried from paint or waited for parts. I did not post the sidecar pictures because I wanted them to all be together in one operational sequence.

So, here are all the pictures up to where I am currently at on the sidecar build from scratch.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sidecar build from scratch

Sidecar wheel and hub assembly. The bike axles are an independent different part that mates up with the front and rear hubs. The side car hub axle is not an independent item but part of the spring suspension of the sidecar. Bearings, and miscellaneous hub hardware are the same as the bikes front wheel hub assembly.

After the wheel and hub are assembled, I will prime and paint the frame, add the hub and wheel and then try to figure out the proper measurements for the position of the sidecar relative to the bike. This will determine the bend made on the two support attachment bars that connect the sidecar to the bike.

This part worries me a bit because the height of the sidecar frame, the toe in and tracking of the side car tire as well as the lean of the bike all have to be considered in the bend and length of the attachment bars…we shall see how it goes?

Attachments

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SIdecar fabrication and data plate added

Got an original lube data plate and installed it in proper place on bike.

After painting the sidecar frame I am now trying to determine fit measurements for sidecar attachment bars to bike. Hope I get everything right so the whole thing tracks correctly.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Torisco;1511291[COLOR=#ffff00 said:
Got an original lube data plate and installed it in proper place on bike.

After painting the sidecar frame I am now trying to determine fit measurements for sidecar attachment bars to bike. Hope I get everything right so the whole thing tracks correctly.
How in the name of Sam Hill did you manage to track down that thing?!

Was it the wonder of the internet?

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures of World War Two era Cushman scooter models

How in the name of Sam Hill did you manage to track down that thing?!

Was it the wonder of the internet?

The war era bikes are difficult to find anymore. Also, some parts can only be found on remaining bikes or have to be made. The big item for collectors is the Cushman Eagle Series, followed by all the others.

The Airbourne Model 53 military made for the war and the airbourne civilian model made after the war are also a big item. The series 30 models made during the war have become more difficult to aquire. I have attached some war era model pictures for the Model 32, 34, 39, and 53.

I purchased mine from a collector who was trying to get everything together to restore the bike to a model 34. Instead he decided to not do that and sold me what he had.

The Cushman Motor Works was in the business of making engines for industrial and farm use. Around 1936 they decided that they could sell more engines if they made a scooter to put it on. The company grew slowly until WWII. During WWII they made three models of Cushman scooters: the model 32, a model 39 three-wheeler and a model 53 airborne that was parachuted out of aircraft. 495 of the Model 32 military scooters with side cars were ordered by the US armed forces in WWII. They were issued with 7-inch, 8-inch or 9-inch tires. To save materials during the war, scooters that were to be used in war plants in the United States were ordered without lights as shown in the attached picture. The body has no holes, mountings for taillights, or license plates.

After the war the Cushman scooter business boomed until 1966, when the Japanese bikes came into being. In 1966 Cushman made 100,000 Eagles. They still make three and four-wheel units for schools, governments, golf courses, and industrial plants.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Absolutely Outstanding (progress photos, descriptions, even a killer historic summary).

Can we nominate Torisco for MV Academy Award (the "Gomer") in categories of:

- Best Screenplay

- Best Cinematography

- Best Documentary

How do we do that?!

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sidecar fabrication

Time to make two (2) side car support bars that need to be bent into a "S" configuration and then be fitted to the side car frame and then to the bike.

I am waiting for a local metal guy to bend the sheet steel into the shape needed for the sidecar box since he has a professional bending machine.. Also, broke my camera and am getting another one tomorrow...Will keep you posted.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Must take a while to get that black iron up to temperature.

How do you know when it's malleable enough to start bending; you get a trick for knowing when?

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must take a while to get that black iron up to temperature.

How do you know when it's malleable enough to start bending; you get a trick for knowing when?

Usually you can get the metal to bend when it just starts to turn red around the point of heat. With the black iron I had to try bending it after about 15-20 minutes of direct heat because it just never got red. Sometimes I use a cheater bar at the end , and at other times a small sledge type hammer. Sort of trial and error as well as dumb luck...If you use a acetylene torch the metal turns red quickly and with greater ease but I do not have a acetylene torch rig. I use mig and tig electric arc welding.

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been busy working on sidecar fabrication

I have attached photos of markings I placed on the vehicle fender and body. Also some pictures of the sidecar box fabrication that began as a large flat piece of steel.

Just got my new camera and I hope that the Pics are as good as my earlier camera that went to shutter heaven....

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks