• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration Thread for M32 w/sidecar WW2 AAF Flight Line untility vehicle

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Restoration of Model 32 w/sidecar WW2 AAF Flight Line untility vehicle

Just purchased a 1943 Model 32 Cushman scooter and bent up side car frame in pieces for restoration.

It will end up being a WW2 Army Air Force Flight Line utility, maintenance vehicle. Cushman supplied the model 32 with utility sidecar to the military and some defense contractors from 1943-1945. Will be posting the build here for your entertainment. I am doing this out of my own garage as a non-professional. I also did a M43 restoration posted on SS two years ago in the same way. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a really cool restoration, I'm sure others would join me in liking to see the progress. [thumbzup]

Just FYI, I didn't realize you had text at first, it seems to be dark grey and doesn't show up on the OD background at all, unless highlighted!

Cheers

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like seeing a different sort of project here on SS. That is such a cool little machine, I look forward to seeing the progress and especially the end result. Good luck with your M32 resto!

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a really cool restoration, I'm sure others would join me in liking to see the progress. [thumbzup]

Just FYI, I didn't realize you had text at first, it seems to be dark grey and doesn't show up on the OD background at all, unless highlighted!

Cheers

Thank you...Text corrected

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And more rusty parts...

Will be dipping all rusted parts in a de-rust solution made with a concentrate and mixed with water! It is the first time I have tried this stuff. No chemicals and safe to exposed hands and can be washed down the drain as environmentally safe.

We shall see.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
De-rusted parts removed from dip.

This is the first batch of small parts that I put into the 5 gallon de-ruster solution. They came out really good. (I heated the solution to 130-140 degrees Farenheit as suggested by the directions.)

I am now soaking the front fender and steel wheels in the solution.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Crazy awesome project, I echo the above sentiments in enjoying unusual projects.

2. Had no idea Cushmans were available with sidecars. Clintogf will never leave me alone about one now.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting info.

1. Crazy awesome project, I echo the above sentiments in enjoying unusual projects.

2. Had no idea Cushmans were available with sidecars. Clintogf will never leave me alone about one now.
Attached is a copy of the War Dept. TM 10-1399 authorization letter of 1942 Also the Cover page of the TM 10-1399 manual.
You will find a pictures of a Cushman Model 32 with a side-kar used as a messenger vehicle and a AAF Base Utility Cushman with a side-kar that was a father and son restore.

Attachments

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgot one more picture.

This picture is of the Model 32 with side-Kar and the Model 39 called a package-Kar. These were both part of the 30 Series of vehicles.

Both types of utility Cushmans were continued to be made after the war but the bodies, front suspension, seats, brake lights etc/ were changed and the model was called the 50 Series which began in 1946.

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
very cool project. I also appreciate the uniqueness of this rebuild. Please keep the pics coming.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
One of the local guys here, "Cushman Jeff" has a few he has redone plus a few modern mil bikes.jeff2.jpgjeff4.jpgjeff5.jpgjeff3.jpgjeff1.jpgjeff.jpg

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for the great pictures. I am really happy that others share my interest and curiosity about these little steel soldiers.

Would really like to talk to your friend regarding the acquisition of a couple of parts that I cannot seem to find anywhere. PM me if that is O.K. with you and your friend and I will exchange all my contact info as well. Thanks again for the great pictures.

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New acquisitions for the build

I purchased a rebuilt model 32 4HP engine from a Cushman CLub Member that went with this type of vehicle I also purchased a pre-primered straight body shell from the same Cushman Club Member. This will save me a huge chunk of work and all the time to round up a small engine block and rebuild the engine, carb, magneto, generator, gas tank, fuel filter etc.

A lucky find.

Model 32 Restored body 1.jpgModel 32 Restored body 2.jpgModel 32 Restored body 4.jpgModel 32 Restored body 3.jpg4 HP Cushman Husky Motor 4.jpg4 HP Cushman Husky Motor 3.jpg4 HP Cushman Husky Motor 2.jpg4 HP Cushman Hucky Motor 1.jpg

Another Ahab

Cheers
You bet: subscribed.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front wheel rehab.

Pictures:
Cleaned up the front wheel halfs before the rust dip. Then after the dip I primered the wheels, and then painted them.

Now working on:
I am re-assembling the front hub, bearings, seals etc. and painting the hub. Also getting a new tube and NOS Goodyear tire with correct tread to mount to front wheel.

Sorry, pictures are out of order...

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Pictures:
Cleaned up the frpnt wheel halfs before the rust dip. Then after the dip I primered the wheels, and then painted them.

Now working on:
I am re-assembling the front hub, bearings, seals etc. and painting the hub. Also getting a new tube and NOS Goodyear tire with correct tread to mount to front wheel.

Sorry, pictures are out of order...
It is very inspiring to see a job done right. Nice work, Torisco.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continued derusting and prep of parts

I am retired and thus can devote all day to the little steel soldier. Hopefully this build will go as smooth a it has thus far.

Pictures:
More derusting and painting of front suspension rear suspension and rear wheel parts for vehicle.

Working on:
Rear hub assembly of bearings seals brakes sprocket wheel tire tube and misc parts.

Attachments

trukhead

Very Cool Project! There is a thread on the site for Electrolysis rust removal that uses soda soap, water, a battery charger and some homemade dip tank apparatus. That might be helpful for the big parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks