• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restore sagging front springs with Add A Leaf Springs

Truckyea

Hey guys, it just so happens I have brand new Sky jacker long aal's laying around since I fist bought my truck.
She's sagging so bad in the front the shackles rest on the frame.

My question is, will these aal's and a new "ORD" shackle kit restore and level my truck?

Truckyea

Well as obvious as it is, it has nothing to do with American Air Lines.
Let's not be silly here.
"Sky Jacker"
Add A Leaves
"AAL's"
But I'm sure everyone already knows that.
And I'm not sure how you could get an air line mixed up with sagging front springs on a 1980's Chevy truck either.
Simple questions here, let's not make it difficult.
Thank you

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, lets not assume that everyone knows your self made abbreviations. Our search system is munged up enough with folks that haven't yet mastered the elementary aspect of spelling, lets not make searching more difficult than it already is by creating more abbreviations. My point was that even the widely used search engine, Google, wasn't aware of your abbreviation, how could you assume everyone else was? There are many abbreviations that are widely used and accepted, yours isn't one. Would it really be that difficult to spell the topic of the thread in at least the title so that it can be researched or searched at a later date? Remember, this site is to benefit many, not just one!

gottaluvit

I have installed add a leaf springs before and really saw no noticable improvement, on a ' 78 civy 3/4 ton Chevy. A week later, I went to Wheeling Tire and got 2" lift springs for $200 and used the add-a-leaf springs with them.

Truckyea

"AAL" is not self made.
Of course I don't want confuse anyone.
It's a well now abbreviation in the 4x4 world. I did not realize Google would not pick up on it unless you use it in a phrase. But thanks, I understand.

Truckyea

I have installed add a leaf springs before and really saw no noticable improvement, on a ' 78 civy 3/4 ton Chevy. A week later, I went to Wheeling Tire and got 2" lift springs for $200 and used the add-a-leaf springs with them.
Thanks for you input.
With the weight of the diesel I really wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

I wish I could find 2" lift springs for $200
I'd rather go that route.
I have found stock 3 and 4 leaf replacement springs for just over $200.
I was thinking about going with the 4 leaf, 1900# capacity springs and my add-a-leafs to level the truck out for the mean time until I can get a lift.

Truckyea

Thanks for you input.
With the weight of the diesel I really wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

I wish I could find 2" lift springs for $200
I'd rather go that route.
I have found stock 3 and 4 leaf replacement springs for just over $200.
I was thinking about going with the 4 leaf, 1900# capacity springs and my add-a-leafs to level the truck out for the mean time until I can get a lift.
Well scratch that, I did just find superlift 2.5" lift springs for under $200.
But I have read bad reviews about the ride quality.
Can anyone here confirm this? I've never owned anything by superlift my self

Csm Davis

Well as obvious as it is, it has nothing to do with American Air Lines.
Let's not be silly here.
"Sky Jacker"
Add A Leaves
"AAL's"
But I'm sure everyone already knows that.
And I'm not sure how you could get an air line mixed up with sagging front springs on a 1980's Chevy truck either.
Simple questions here, let's not make it difficult.
Thank you
Truckyea I have been building 4x4 trucks since the early days when Bigfoot was new and you probably weren't born and I didn't catch the A.A.L. Recovery was being nice we have rules about texting type abbreviations and if it is not common the least you can do is spell it out in your first post so that everyone who reads the thread can understand what is being talked about. Don't get upset about things just clarify and move on I promise there are abbreviations that these military guys could flatten you with and you might never figure out. I have bent enough rules here to know it is better for everyone to be long winded and explain it than short and confusing.

Truckyea

No biggie, I'll spell things out in the title or 1st post.
I'm not new to forums, just thought someone was nitpicking.
All is well, cheers

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used add-a-leafs in many many trucks over many many years.
They do pick the front end up 1 to 2 inches.
That being said I have never heard or seen anyone refer to them as aal's

Haven't used the ORD shackle kit, Gonna have to assume you are talking about the 2" longer shackles. Those will change your pinion angle (albeit only slightly, but still a detriment)
I'd say the best bet to restore stock height is to put new spring packs in.

gottaluvit

Don't know if it's a M1008 or '09 but with the stance of the '08 before sagging, I am very confident the 2.5" superlifts will put you pretty level with the rear. These front Chevy springs were destined for failure being the general put the arc backward to start. I dont think the shackles need changed.

Truckyea

Yes I agree, Sally is a fat girl and she is a m1028, not that it makes a difference.
That's part of the reason why I was leaning towards the 4 leaf replacement spring for the higher capacity. With that being said, the superstiffs are cheaper than stock 3 and or 4 leafs.
Getting her leveled out will keep me happy.
My plan is to install the new springs and zero rates all at the same time. That and finished the 1" body like I made. Some newer/bigger tires wouldn't hurt either.
Thanks